All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Rancheria Falls to Tiltill Valley to Lake Vernon June 27th
June 01, 2017 11:48AM
Anybody have any idea what the conditions will be like trying to do a Rancheria Falls to Tiltill Valley to Lake Vernon loop late June? Still snow? Will Tiltill Valley require knee high boots to keep my feet dry? :-)
Re: Rancheria Falls to Tiltill Valley to Lake Vernon June 27th
June 01, 2017 05:10PM
Maybe. And the bridge at Wapama Falls may or may not be open. All you can do is wait and hope for the best.

If I were betting, I would be the bridge will be open, and Tiltill will be sodden.

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
avatar Yosemite's newest thrill: Running through a 'dangerous' waterfall
June 01, 2017 06:21PM
Re: Yosemite's newest thrill: Running through a 'dangerous' waterfall
June 01, 2017 09:33PM
eeek
http://www.sfgate.com/outdoors/article/Yosemite-s-newest-thrill-Running-a-waterfall-11188762.php
Ha! I know that girl in the video, what a small world. Though I would rather walk than run at such sections.
Don't know why the editor of that article put the word dangerous in quotes, as if it's not really dangerous. As the article itself notes, at certain times those falls can be fatal (which is why the NPS sometime declares the bridge closed). I'm with nwhkr - I'd prefer to walk and keep my footing than risk slipping while running.
June 02, 2017 12:59PM
How high was the water when the backpackers got stuck and tried to cross unsuccessfully? Two men slipped off the bridge in 2011, I believe.
avatar Re: Yosemite's newest thrill: Running through a 'dangerous' waterfall
June 02, 2017 10:11PM
Not quite The Geezer, but getting there
Don't know why the editor of that article put the word dangerous in quotes, as if it's not really dangerous. As the article itself notes, at certain times those falls can be fatal (which is why the NPS sometime declares the bridge closed). I'm with nwhkr - I'd prefer to walk and keep my footing than risk slipping while running.

It's also pretty bad the general tone of the article that equates Yosemite as some sort of amusement park out in the wilderness, a Disneyland in the Sierra and that crossing the footbridges is the newest "thrill ride" in the park.

Leave No Trace
June 03, 2017 07:13PM
plawrence

It's also pretty bad the general tone of the article that equates Yosemite as some sort of amusement park out in the wilderness, a Disneyland in the Sierra and that crossing the footbridges is the newest "thrill ride" in the park.

Totally agree, the headline is more to grab attention. I am avoiding to characterize it as a click-bait article as it's authored by my friend's uncle. Fully concur with Peter that wilderness is not a place for reckless adventure.
June 03, 2017 07:21PM
Aside from the bridge, which is in three sections that are metal, and one is often part of the waterfall at this time of year, you will have quite a slog in Tiltill Valley. I went through it in early September several years ago, and the weeds were over my head and very dense. A machete would have been helpful, especially after the trail disappeared into them and I couldn't really tell where I was. Right now the weeds probably won't be as tall, but the the entire valley is likely a swamp. The snow should be already gone from that area, but the snow melting higher up collects in that valley almost like a shallow lake. My biggest concern when I went through it was accidentally stepping on a rattlesnake, since I have seen a few in that area on the trail very nicely camouflaged by oak leaves on the ground. It is the shorter route to Vernon Lake, but not the easiest.
June 27, 2017 08:42PM
plawrence

Totally concur! Unfortunately there was a tragedy at the same sport recently as well as in 2011 as mentioned by Ohnivy-Drak https://snowbrains.com/man-killed-swept-off-bridge-wapama-falls-yosemite-national-park-ca/
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login