All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Best source for elevation profiles
June 10, 2017 09:33PM
Hi all,

Can you recommend a website where I can put in a route and get an elevation profile?

I found one such site a couple of weeks ago, but I had to trace the trail on the map with my mouse, and then it gave me an image small enough to fit on a postage stamp.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2017 09:33PM by iivvgg.
Re: Best source for elevation profiles
June 11, 2017 07:08AM
I use a site called Plot A Route when looking at routes to take our Boy Scout Troop on.

https://www.plotaroute.com/

When putting a route in select the paths option and it makes marking the path easier since it shows known trails.

Chris
June 12, 2017 07:15PM
CalTopo is a good one.
June 13, 2017 09:51PM
Thanks! I hadn't seen either of these sites before.

I really like CalTopo, but I've found two bugs in the trail data just along the Merced River. There's a "low" trail at the bottom of the valley and a "high" trail on the south-facing slope. About a five-mile chunk of the "high" trail around Washburn Lake is missing. And the "low" trail is frustratingly discontinuous at the bridge over the Merced Peak Fork. (They appear to use OpenStreetMap data, which doesn't have the discontinuity.) Any idea how to fix this?

Meanwhile, PlotARoute is missing about a 5-mile chunk of the Illilouette Creek trail. And there's something really funny about the elevation profile that it generates.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2017 09:57PM by iivvgg.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login