Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Trip report 6/3-6/9

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Trip report 6/3-6/9
June 14, 2017 06:18AM
OBOFRT>El Cap>Yosemite Falls>North dome>Indian ridge>olmsted point>Tenaya outlet>Sunrise lakes>Clouds rest>half dome>Happy Isles

Hiked in trail runners. No crampons, snowshoes or microspikes.

Minimal snow 2-3 feet for a short distance at ribbon meadows above el cap. Otherwise no snow until above north dome. Complete snow cover without discernible trail from Indian Ridge to beyond clouds rest. Snow 5-10 feet deep.Could only navigate with GPS. Tenaya outlet over 4 feet deep. Steep and slick ascending from Tenaya towards sunrise lakes. Northeast access to clouds rest complete snow and too steep for my skills. South west access to CR was passable with approx 1/4 mile of snow at top of trail.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3XW1M66xaQqTHh4OTJHTWktY28
June 15, 2017 11:03AM
Short and to the point. Does not sound like an easy trip. Congrats for sticking it out.
June 16, 2017 08:54AM
jcsmgs - I've been thinking of doing the same exact trip. Can you share your GPS track please? I will be up there on the 25th but by then most of the snow will probably be gone and very soggy.
June 16, 2017 02:50PM
blondguy
jcsmgs - I've been thinking of doing the same exact trip. Can you share your GPS track please? I will be up there on the 25th but by then most of the snow will probably be gone and very soggy.

He has alread shared his GPS tracks. Click on his Google Drive link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3XW1M66xaQqTHh4OTJHTWktY28

The link opens up this image of his GPS tracks:

Leave No Trace
June 16, 2017 08:02PM
Do you want to download the track into your GPS?

Old Dude
June 17, 2017 09:00AM
yes. I'd take the download.
June 16, 2017 02:55PM
I would be very surprised if that back half doesn't have significant snow on June 25th. There is currently up to 8-10 feet in some places but on average 4-5 feet. You are correct that it will be slushy.
June 17, 2017 01:48AM
Thanks for posting this. Can you tell me anything about the Wildcat Creek and Tamarack Creek crossings? I have a permit for OBOFRT next week and am wondering what to expect there.
June 17, 2017 08:11AM
Both were simple crossings. Step across on rocks/logs. Except for Tenaya outlet we were able to cross all creeks without getting wet. We had to walk upstream or down for a very short distance on a few. Either rocks/trees/logs or substantial footbridges (for the larger creeks like yosemite/snow) allowed crossing dry.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login