All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

WP Socks
July 07, 2017 12:11PM
I would imagine this is very much a personal preference topic, but I'd like to know your opinions on waterproof or neoprene socks for snow travel. I don't have WP boots, and I don't think I will purchase them because the majority of my hiking is in the desert and canyons where I don't mind getting my feet wet in a creek crossing because they dry out so quickly. However, I am seeing the reports of 100% snow coverage on the Cathedral Lakes trail all the way to Sunrise and I wonder if I should consider something other than extra socks. We start on 7/18 so I would guess there will still be plenty of snow and/or water on the trail. Would it be ridiculous to put plastic bags over our socks for that stretch? I like cheap options too!
July 09, 2017 12:46PM
I can offer only a few experiences, most of them tangential to your question:

1. When I was a kid I lived in snow country. My mittens would regularly get soaked from handling snow so my parents got me a pair of waterproof ones. It looked like a great idea on paper but they turned out to be just awful. They didn't have much insulating value to begin with and they'd quickly get cold and clammy inside from condensation.

2. Nowadays I hike mostly in warm-to-hot conditions so I choose all my "normal hiking" shoes for good ventilation. I do have a couple of pairs of Gore-Tex-lined waterproofs for when I expect to be dodging puddles and stuff. One time the forecast was threatening rain so I spent the day hiking in the Gore-tex shoes. I rarely get blisters but that day I was surprised to end up with a blister on the bottom of one toe. When I read up on the subject, I found out that damp skin is more likely to blister than dry skin.

3. I was in Yosemite Valley in January, just to try out my snowshoes and other gear and see what the park looked like with some serious snow on the ground. I'd prepared for the occasion by buying a pair of Merrell Moab Waterproof Mids at least one size bigger than I usually wear. I wore them with double socks, "hiking" weight inside "expedition" weight. That combination turned out to fit quite well, and my feet stayed warm and dry the whole time.
July 10, 2017 07:53AM
Just bring extra socks.

Chick-on is looking at you!
Re: WP Socks
July 10, 2017 08:53AM
Thanks for the advice! We arrive in 7 days and I'm both excited and nervous with all the reports of difficult conditions especially through Cathedral Pass. Hoping things improve in a week. I will post a TR when we return.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login