Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (55% of Full)

Advanced

Hiking North Rim From Tamarack to Snow Creek

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Hiking North Rim From Tamarack to Snow Creek
July 11, 2017 07:05PM
Hello friends!

My friends and I have permits to hike from Tamarack Flat Campground. Our plan is to hike to the summit of El Capitan, staying the night somewhere in that vicinity. The next day we hope to hit Eagle Peak and Yosemite Falls, and to camp at Lehamite Creek. For the final day, our hope is to visit North Dome and Indian Rock Arch. We'd then descend along Snow Creek.

Does anyone have specific general advice for this trip? It sounds like we can expect creeks to be high. Should we be concerned about passability at Ribbon Meadow? Should we be expecting substantial snow on the ground? I saw a report from about three or four weeks ago where someone encountered a lot.

Thanks so much for reading! This forum has been a wonderful resource thus far!
avatar Re: Hiking North Rim From Tamarack to Snow Creek
July 12, 2017 07:18AM
I posted a picture from when GP road opened... from Glacier Point...
I mean... even that was long ago... I just wouldn't worry about anything really.
Even Eagle Peak Meadows is probably pretty clean.

Have fun and enjoy. It's gonna be warm.

Chick-on is looking at you!
Re: Hiking North Rim From Tamarack to Snow Creek
July 12, 2017 10:05AM
Thanks for the advice and encouragement! Thanks so much for moderating such a wonderfully useful forum!
July 12, 2017 10:25AM
A few years ago, in the dead of summer, I did the Snow Creek/Natural Arch/North Dome/Eagle Peak
route. Some thoughts?

-During the drought of droughts, Snow Creek and Lehamite both had water. Could be a torrent now.
-Natural Arch is a hidden gem in a place full of hidden gems
-Eagle Peak has knee buckling views and NO guardrail. Do be careful

Sounds like a great hike.
July 12, 2017 10:44AM
Thanks for the great advice, Dave!

I'll definitely keep that safety advice in mind. And I'm really excited to see the Arch! I called the wilderness ranger today and she says that Snow and Lehamite have come down significantly. At least we don't have to worry about being able to get water from those!
July 13, 2017 09:47AM
From 6/27 to 6/30 we hiked Tamarack Campground to El Cap, Eagle Point, Yosemite Falls area, Yosemite Point, North Dome, back to Yosemite Creek, and down the Yosemite Falls trail. No Stream or creek crossings were difficult, but Ribbon Meadow was a swamp and mosquito deluge. We camped near Ribbon creek on night 1, on Yosemite creek about 1/2 mile north of the junction with the north rim trail for nights 2 & 3. We day hiked to North Dome on day 3, and hiked down the falls on day 4. We encountered no snow, except a small patch in the woods near Ribbon Meadow as we bushwhacked to avoid the little vampires and swamp. Our weather, and visibility was perfect, as I never once donned my jacket. The nights only dropped to @ 45 degrees in my tent smiling smiley. The hiking seemed strenuous this time, but the views were definitely worth it.
July 13, 2017 10:28AM
Thanks so much for the information, Coolburn! I'm hoping Ribbon meadow will be a little drier at the end of next week, but we'll know what to plan for! Thank you!
July 13, 2017 04:38PM
Have fun!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login