Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Red Peak Pass Loop Advice Wanted

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Red Peak Pass Loop Advice Wanted
July 27, 2017 09:59AM
3 of us are hiking this 8/20 - 8/25, reservations confirmed. Taking the counter-clockwise route and would appreciate any advice.

Here's the map: Red Peak Pass Map

Questions:

1 - what's the best way to get from the valley to glacier point trailhead?
2 - is there overnight parking at glacier point trailhead?
3 - specific camping spots along the way?
4 - cool side trips along the route?

Thanks!

LK

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2017 10:59AM by Lowell.
July 27, 2017 11:46AM
1 - what's the best way to get from the valley to glacier point trailhead? There is a bus that can be reserved, but it only runs on certain days, and it doesn't get up to glacier point until after 10 a.m. Make a reservation if you can get it to fit with your schedule, but if you can find a ride once you get to the park, you can cancel your reservation and get your money back.

2 - is there overnight parking at glacier point trailhead? Yes, so if the bus isn't going on the date you're scheduled to start your hike, but is running the day after your return, you could have one person get a reservation on the bus and ride up to get your car and bring it back.

3 - specific camping spots along the way?

4 - cool side trips along the route? The only thing I might suggest is to take the muir trail around nevada falls. it's got an incredible view of the falls. once you get to clark point, I'd recommend cutting back to the mist trail for vernal falls. The muir trail past clark point is completely covered, has no scenery and is truly boring. If your legs are completely toasted by the time you get to clark point, take muir trail and just blow through it quickly. You'll completely miss vernal falls, though.
July 27, 2017 01:28PM
1. There is a daily bus with multiple daily departures that start from Yosemite Lodge. Reserve/pay for one-way tickets in advance, especially for the early morning (8:00) departure. You have 24 hours to cancel for a full refund. Note: if the buses are full sometimes they will add another bus, so keep checking.
2. Yes, you can park at Glacier Point, but then you get to hike back up there. Also, would have to get up there early in the day else the day-trippers take the spots. Doing the car shuttle is a hassle, plus there will be additional traffic to deal with. (i.e. not recommended)
3. The best part of the loop is between Ottoway Lakes and Washburn Lakes, so suggest spend more time there. Your first day's stop is dependent upon water; often late season many of the smaller creeks along the Illillouette go dry. Your Camp 3 at Triple Peak fork is nice, but if you spend more time on the way over, another nice spot is further down, just above where the Merced Peak Fork meets the trail. Camp 3/Camp 4 are pretty close together. Camp 5 is nice (twin bridges) but another great alternative is to take the upper trail from Echo Valley, climb up, and camp on the huge granite shelf across from Bunnell Point. Great views of the backside of Mt Clark, and there's a small tarn just off the trail. (a filter is preferable for that)
4. Lots of little lakes beyond Red Peak Pass. Suggest making your Camp 3 in that area, and explore it...
avatar Re: Red Peak Pass Loop Advice Wanted
July 27, 2017 05:30PM
OL
The best part of the loop is between Ottoway Lakes and Washburn Lakes
I don't quite agree with that. I would say yes from Ottoway up to the pass then down to the Triple Peak Fork and following that to where the Merced and Lyell forks blend in, that's all great with open views, but from that point to Merced Lake is mostly forested so to me not as spectacular. And then, from the west end of Merced Lake down to Lost Valley is amazing granite once again.

Red Devil Lake is a nice detour, especially for camping on the north side of RPP. I agree your plan has a short segment between camps 3 and 4, from when you come to the Triple Peak Fork down to Washburn Lake, that's all flat and easy downhill that could be done in half a day.
July 27, 2017 01:48PM
Lowell,

1 - The Glacier Point Tour bus runs every day leaving Yosemite Falls Lodge at 8:30 and 1:30. Best to book early so you get a seat. This is the best option for your route because it lets you hike out to Happy Isles rather than having to Hike up to GP to collect your car on the last day.

http://www.travelyosemite.com/things-to-do/guided-bus-tours/

2 - Yes you can over night park at GP and there are or at least were food lockers. Technically you are supposed to leave a copy of your wilderness permit on your dash but I never do because it tells any bad people that they have a few days to break into your car. Be aware that when it gets busy the Rangers often make you park at Badger Pass and take the free shuttle to GP. If you tell the Ranger you have a wilderness permit for GP or Mono Meadows they will let you through.

3 - You are hiking Red Peak Pass so it makes sense to take a detour and bag the summit, it will take 1-2 hours depending on fitness and photo times). There may still be snow up there.

4 - If you can set off in time I suggest you try and push a bit harder on the first day, I think your Camp 1 is in the old burned area so not a lot to see. If you head up the trail to where it rejoins the creek. about where the 7.2 is on your map there is a cool campsite by a some small falls.

The first time I did this route I planned to camp at your Camp 3 location but when I got there it wasn't that inspiring and it was only early afternoon so we just kept going and camped at Washburn Lake.

I think you Camp 5 location may also be in the area that burned a couple of years ago, you may want to continue to LYT which is a good base to hike up Half Dome before you head home, have you got permits? If not ask when you pick up your Wilderness Permit, sometimes you can get lucky,

Have Fun
July 29, 2017 02:42PM
Lowell,

I agree on trying to push to the 7.2ml on your first day, it is much better spot to camp and will make the next leg to Ottawa a bit shorter, it is a great but long climb. On your way to Ottawa Lake you will pass by Lower Merced Pass Lake, it is on your right where the trail will split, left to Ottawa Lake, straight to Merced Pass, great place to stop but the lake is easy to miss. Some one suggests the Upper Echo Valley trail and it is a great suggestion but 3 summers ago a fire burned a few miles of the trail so while the views are great the spot may not be so inviting.

Good luck,
Lygio
July 31, 2017 11:36AM
Iygio,

Lower Merced Pass Lake, now there's a story... Most people have heard about this, here's a good summary based on the facts, apparently there are still parts of the plane around the lake but the dope has long gone,

http://www.mensjournal.com/features/articles/the-legend-of-yosemites-dope-lake-w209503
July 29, 2017 07:41PM
Thanks everyone, just the sort of advise I needed. You guys are awesome.
July 29, 2017 09:21PM
Lowell, one more thing I forgot be prepared to meet a lot of bugs and mosquitoes!
July 30, 2017 01:14PM
I was wondering about that. Do you think they will be present pretty much all along the trail?

Also, anyone use the Thermacell device for the campsite?
August 04, 2017 01:22PM
I tried a thermacell on my last trip. It worked great in the backyard, but when I got it up to altitude it WOULD NOT LIGHT
Then I read the directions- "may not work over 7000 ft."What good is a "Thermacell Backpacker" that does not work at over 7000ft!!!.
Useless weight.
I agree with JRinGeorgia. Red Devil Lake is really nice.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login