All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

fire and air quality woes
September 05, 2017 03:49PM
Hi,
I'm headed out west tomorrow. My original plan was to loop around (and up) Mt Hoffman, go over and see Clouds Rest for sunrise and sunset, and bum around Sunrise and Cathedral Lakes. My backup plan was the Thousand Island Lake loop out of Agnew Meadows. By backup to my backup was over Kearsarge Pass to (maybe) Rae Lakes.

I've been watching websites (primarily https://www.wildlandfiresmoke.net) and looking at webcams. However, none of the maps or webcams are where I am actually going to be. Does anyone have an idea of what to look at for those areas? I've talked to rangers at both places, and their answer is "it depends", which I understand.

Basically, I don't get out there often, and I don't want to get smoked out. I guess I'm asking if anyone has any knowledge of the fire/smoke intensity of those places relative to each other. Or what other people would do if they only got to backpack out there once every couple years. It seems Yosemite is the worst, Mammoth is a little better, and I can't really find anything on Kearsarge. I am going anyway, and I'm sure I'll have a great trip, but any help would be really cool.

Thanks!
Sean
Re: fire and air quality woes
September 05, 2017 07:33PM
I called and talked to one of the Wilderness Office people in Tuolumne Meadows today. He basically told me that the situation changes from day to day, and from time to time. He said they usually get at least half a day that is relatively smoky, but the rest of the time it's relatively light. And that may change, now that the weather is changing---there is a good chance of rain tonight and tomorrow.

We're headed up that way in the next week, and we are also concerned....but we'll make the decision on game day.

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
September 05, 2017 07:55PM
Thanks! I'm leaning towards Thousand Island Lake because there is less smoke there. Although that can change smiling smiley. I've never backpacked any of it, so it's all good. We'll see tomorrow when I'm driving up 395. Good luck on your trip!
September 06, 2017 08:28AM
I was in TM yesterday, and it was real smoky in the afternoon with some thunderstorms around 4 pm. Zero views from Olmsted Point. Dropping into the valley to see if 41 had opened (it hadn't and there were no signs prior to the 41 turn off saying as such...ugh!), could barely see the top of El Cap, no views of Half Dome. We had 5 days around Nelson Lake/Rafferty Creek/Vogelsang areas with next to zero smoke and beautiful weather. We did see smoke farther south around the Clark Range. Unfortunately, the answer always seems to be 'it depends'. Not helpful in trip planning.
September 06, 2017 08:50AM
hulkman75
I was in TM yesterday, and it was real smoky in the afternoon with some thunderstorms around 4 pm. Zero views from Olmsted Point. Dropping into the valley to see if 41 had opened (it hadn't and there were no signs prior to the 41 turn off saying as such...ugh!), could barely see the top of El Cap, no views of Half Dome. We had 5 days around Nelson Lake/Rafferty Creek/Vogelsang areas with next to zero smoke and beautiful weather. We did see smoke farther south around the Clark Range. Unfortunately, the answer always seems to be 'it depends'. Not helpful in trip planning.

Thanks! I was really looking forward to the views from Clouds Rest and Mt Hoffman. Looks like that will have to wait. Getting ready to head up 395 now. It's down to Agnew Meadows or Kearsarge. I should be able to salvage a great trip, still.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login