All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar 8/26-29: Young Lakes, Roosevelt, Upper McCabe, Glen Aulin Loop
September 05, 2017 05:18PM
Early last week I went backpacking to Young Lakes, then went cross-country to Roosevelt, over "Don't Be a Smart Pass" to Upper McCabe, then to Lower McCabe where I picked up the trail and hiked to Glen Aulin, then back to Tuolumne Meadows.

The sky conditions weren't the best for photography, too much incoming moisture, periodic smoke (the smoke was very bad Monday), but I did get some nice pictures anyway.

There's still snow patches near the top of the south side of the pass, the north side of the pass is almost all snow except for a small patch near the bottom.

The mosquitoes are dreadful.

The wildflowers are still out and doing quite well.

The footbridge at Glen Aulin over Conness Creek is sort-of intact, but about 40 feet downstream from the foundations (pics below).

Pictures:

A deer, a meadow, and Dingley Creek:

Wildflowers, along Conness Creek:

Lake Roosevelt:

Upper McCabe, from Don't Be a Smart Pass:

Upper McCabe:

The footbridge over Conness Creek to Glen Aulin campground and High Sierra Camp is destroyed. Here's a picture of the footings, you can see how high the water had to rise in order to impact the bridge:

Here's the bridge itself, taken from the top of the western pier:
Re: 8/26-29: Young Lakes, Roosevelt, Upper McCabe, Glen Aulin Loop
September 09, 2017 10:00PM
Nice.

"Don't Be a Smart Pass" is the direct route from Roosevelt to Upper McCabe? Looks pretty hairy on the topo map, especially with all of the snow.

That bridge will take a few years to replace, I reckon. It washed off of the piers and got caught in the trees?
avatar Re: 8/26-29: Young Lakes, Roosevelt, Upper McCabe, Glen Aulin Loop
September 10, 2017 01:31PM
Yes, Don't Be a Smart Pass is located here, as the direct route between Roosevelt and Upper McCabe.

I had Stabilicers on, I probably didn't need them but having them on certainly allowed me to descend faster with more safety. As the snow was top to bottom (pic below) one wouldn't want to fall, but the snow was reasonably solid but not hard ice. Poles should be considered required - on my other trip that week I saw some folks going up the snow on Mule Pass without poles and they weren't having any fun at all.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login