Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (78% of Full)

nordvpn

Advanced

Re: September Snow

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

September Snow
September 21, 2017 03:08PM
I was planning to backpack out of Agnew meadows on 9/25 for a 5 day loop trip. With this storm on 9/21 now I am not so sure. Although I was aware of the risk in planning a trip this late I'm not sure I want to hike/camp in snow.

Should I just suck it up and do the trip, or can anyone suggest any last-minute lower elevation alternatives I might look at around Mammoth Lakes? I won't have a car so that is a limiting factor.

Thanks!
September 23, 2017 08:15PM
Have you hiked and camped in snow before? We can give advice. Also, how much snow is up there?
September 24, 2017 06:52AM
Yes that’s what I’m wondering too. How much snow is up there? I’ll find out on Monday. There’s warmer weather coming this week so perhaps a lot will melt.

If anyone has been up in that area this weekend I’m interested in how much snow there is. Thanks!
September 24, 2017 11:06AM
We hiked around in the Mammoth Lakes basin on Friday, enough snow to get the paws wet, but not enough to obscure the trails. We did see snowboard tracks on Mammoth Crest. My best guess is that snow will not be a factor Monday.

Do what you love.
September 24, 2017 12:11PM
Thanks. And yes I called the ranger station and they echoed similar predictions.
September 24, 2017 07:32AM
You can always call the ranger station and ask them about current conditions.
September 24, 2017 08:16PM
Was up at Humphrey Basin this past weekend and the snow below 10k melted away pretty fast. Ankle deep above 11k. I think you should be ok. Just might be alittle chilly though!
September 25, 2017 07:13AM
I think everyone was up in da Serras this past weekend.
Da... ang it was busy Sat and Sunday...

Few on Tioga on Thurs and Friday though...

tongue sticking out smiley

Toasty warm

Chick-on is looking at you!
September 28, 2017 03:15AM
Couldn't say no to the early snow! Made for some epic views in the morning!
October 02, 2017 09:46AM
Hi,

Just reporting back that I did this trip last week and it was a classic one: Agnew Meadows -> 1000 Island Lake via High Trail -> Ediza Lake via JMT -> return to Agnew via Shadow Creek Trail.

The only thing I would change is that it was too short. I would like to have spent a couple of days exploring the Ediza Lake environs, especially up to Iceberg Lake and beyond. Next time.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login