Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (75% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Re: Advice for Tuolumne Meadows to YV

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Advice for Tuolumne Meadows to YV
September 26, 2017 12:00PM
My friend and I are planning to do a 30.7mi trip from Tuolumne Meadows to Yosemite Valley. Last time this forum had some excellent advice and info!

We start Oct 4: our plan is to hike from TM to Vogelsang Pass and camp around there. Day 2 we plan to hike to Lake Merced. Day 3 we'll hike to Little Yosemite Valley, and day 4 we hike down to the Valley.

Does anyone have advice for this trip? My primary concern is whether we can expect any significant snow to have accumulated by then, or whether there are any trail conditions that would obstruct us.

Thanks so much for running this forum: the last time I got great advice on my north rim hike and we had a great time! Thank you!
avatar Re: Advice for Tuolumne Meadows to YV
September 27, 2017 10:39AM
I usually plan 30.2 or 31.2. So I'm not sure about 30.7.

I'd recommend going up and over Vogelsang Pass.

It didn't snow too much last weekend. And I don't see stuff in the future... so I'd think you'll be fine.
But I've been wrong in the past.... and I kinda love hiking in the snow.

Have fun!

Chick-on is looking at you!
Re: Advice for Tuolumne Meadows to YV
September 27, 2017 05:04PM
Thanks so much for the advice! That really helps!

I'm now thinking of heading to Sunrise camp from Lake Merced and then back through Cathedral Pass instead of heading back to the valley. It's a little longer, but I've never seen Cathedral Lakes so I'd love to do that. Plus no need to hitchhike back to Tuolumne from the Valley!

I've never been through that part yet. Kinda hard to decide whether my friend who's never been to Yosemite would enjoy better descending into the Valley. :-)

Thanks for this wonderful forum!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login