Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tenaya Lake, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

Advanced

Re: TR: Yay! A little stroll to Vogelsang.

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar TR: Yay! A little stroll to Vogelsang.
October 01, 2017 12:43PM
Perhaps one or more of my hiking partners reads this forum. Because after I posted that I wanted to do more in Yosemite, my partners have been trying to do more in Yosemite. Saturday we hiked to Vogelsang Pass and back.

The day started cold. Frost in the meadows, and a quick stop at the Lyell Fork bridges to add a layer of clothing. We went quickly up the Rafferty Creek trail. Near the top of the switchbacks the extra layers came off. I love all the meadows we pass through. The trail was nowhere near as steep as I remembered it. A couple mountain peaks came into view.

We expected to have a bit of snow on the trail between Tuolumne Pass and Vogelsang HSC, but only had a little bit along the trail edge in a couple places. The views along the way are awesome. (need it be said? We are in the Range of Light!)

Next thing we know, we're at the creek crossing at Vogelsang Lake.

We discussed whether to just stop and picnic here or continue up to the pass, and the one who wanted to continue on promised future beverages and massages to do so. The final stretch was a bit slower, but soon enough we were at the pass.

(you'll want to click on it and see the full size)

We turned around from the pass, had some discussion on what we should call a meal that is around lunchtime but more snack-like in nature. "Snunch" doesn't roll off the tongue, "lack" and "luck" are already words with other meanings. Whatever it is, we had that back at Vogelsang Lake. We then picked up, boogied back to the car, and went to Whoa Nellie for a proper meal.

Do what you love.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2017 12:44PM by Ursa Minor.
October 01, 2017 12:52PM
Stroll indeed. Thanks for posting
October 02, 2017 08:56AM
I love that area. Thanks for bringing back great memories!
avatar Re: TR: Yay! A little stroll to Vogelsang.
October 02, 2017 03:30PM
Great photos, thanks for sharing! For someone who's never done it: how long does the hike take from TM to Vogelsang pass?
October 02, 2017 06:27PM
My pleasure.

As to how long it takes, I am hesitant to really say since everyone has their own pace. With the disclaimer out of the way, the round trip (out and back) is about 17 miles and took us about 7 hours. I was planning on 9-10 hours of hiking. We are pretty fast hikers though (nearly 3 mph pace) and conditions were nearly perfect, so take that into consideration. Bring a lunch, leave early, and plan on a full day and sore feet at the end.

Do what you love.
October 05, 2017 07:49AM
Yay!

It takes me that long two.

tongue sticking out smiley

Chick-on is looking at you!
October 06, 2017 03:01PM
Yeah, but isn't that via Elizabeth Lake, over to Nelson, then over the ridge, spend some time paddling around on a lake...?
Bowing to his greatness
tongue sticking out smiley

Do what you love.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login