Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (78% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Mesh upper hiking/trail running shoe?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Mesh upper hiking/trail running shoe?
October 10, 2017 11:52PM
Hey folks!

Does anyone have any recommendations for a fast-drying mesh upper hiking shoe or boot? Been sporting my goretex based boots for some time but was hoping to get a shoe that would be more useful with trips with lots of stream crossings (Glen canyon area?). Was looking at the Inov 8 but haven't been able to find one in person to try em on. Anyone have any experiences with these?

Thanks!
Kevin
avatar Re: Mesh upper hiking/trail running shoe?
October 11, 2017 06:55AM
maybe PM JKW

She knows a lot about shooz...

And jackets...

And hiking...

And iPhones...

And iWatches...

And backpacking...

Chick-on is looking at you!
October 11, 2017 12:43PM
Been rockin' Merrell Moab's - http://www.merrell.com/US/en/moab-2-ventilator-mid/27935M.html?dwvar_27935M_color=J06047#cgid=moab-collection&start=1
for a while now...my third pair. Mesh uppers/ dry pretty fast/ good traction off-trail. What you gain in comfort though, you lose in longevity as pretty much worn out after a good season or two...maybe 150 hiking days and shot.
Interesting too - just got back from a 2-week No.Yosemite fishing trip - (Benson, Rogers, Tallulah, Peeler) and were caught in that late Sept Storm. Stayed over (hunkered down) at Benson a few extra days waiting for the snow to melt off - (it didn't). As hiking now in snow (Seavey Pass), afraid the mesh boots (mine are non-Gortex) in snow would freeze my tootsies, wore plastic freezer bag (gallon size) over my socks, inside boots...got me home.
BTW, snagged a 19' 'Bow along the way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2017 12:48PM by markskor.
October 11, 2017 02:39PM
Sorry, this got long. Am chatty. Cooped up with possible stress fracture from idiotically over tightening laces, Best we can figure. In a boot, can’t hike. Going insane.

Anyone want to talk about “active insulation layers/materials”, PM me. That’s my current “catch up with state of the market” research. (Coreloft Coninuous, FullRange, Polartec Alpha)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2017 02:53PM by JustKeepWalking.
October 11, 2017 03:34PM
Pm incoming! ! Looking for a replacement for my atom lt
October 11, 2017 04:34PM
Altra Lone Peak have got rave reviews in PNW/PCT circles, check them out!
October 12, 2017 09:48AM
Kevin,

Will you hiking or trail running? If you are trail running the Altras are a great choice. If you are hiking for more than a couple of hours its not going to be fun with wet boots. Like Mark I also have Moab Ventilators but this are really intended to reduce sweating in hot conditions, if they get wet they take a while to dry.

If you are going to doing day hikes or backpacking a two shoe strategy may be a better option, get some Crocs, Tevas or Keen water shoes for the wet sections and keep you sock and boots dry for later.
October 12, 2017 10:48AM
Just my two cents:

The new Altras with Vibram should be better.. I found their non-Vibram options to be slippery.. haven’t bought a pair pair with Vibram yet!

And I LOVE my crocs, but only use them for creek crossings when I don’t feel I can dry well enough during remainder of the trip.

I save a lot of time not changing shoes at crossings.. so crocs stay on pack until it’s time for a swim/soak.. but great for crossings when I do use them! Lightweight and toe protection.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login