Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tenaya Lake, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

Advanced

Re: John Muir Trail damage

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

October 24, 2017 11:21AM
The John Muir Trail from Clark Point to the John Muir Trail/Panorama junction is closed indefinitely due to trail damage along the Ice Cut.
October 24, 2017 06:29PM
Any info on the nature and/or cause of the damage?
avatar Re: John Muir Trail damage
November 07, 2017 04:20PM
There's more details here:
https://www.nps.gov/yose/learn/management/closures.htm

(scroll down to bottom)

Hopefully can get to THE Valley soon... It's been too long...
smiling smiley

Chick-on is looking at you!
November 07, 2017 06:33PM
Thanksgiving for us!!! Hopefully I can wander about a bit by then!!!
November 14, 2017 08:55PM
JustKeepWalking
Thanksgiving for us!!! Hopefully I can wander about a bit by then!!!
Wishing you a speedy recovery!!...and hope you get to play outside for Thanksgiving one way or the other!
November 08, 2017 01:30PM
"There has been significant erosion and undermining along the base of the rock retaining wall on the John Muir Trail, in the area known as the " Ice Cut." National Park Service backcountry trail staff members have conducted an initial evaluation of the area and have determined that it is not safe to traverse by foot or by stock. The rock wall is of older construction and an unknown age, and the wall appears to be unstable."

So basically they've convinced themselves that the retaining wall needs to be entirely replaced, then? Sounds like the ice cut is going to be closed for a long while; I can't imagine a project like that being done quickly.

Can't wait for you guys to get back to Yosemite. This forum needs you grinning smiley

EDIT: Missed this part: "This closure is anticipated to remain in effect until the summer of 2018. Design and Engineering staff will be working on a repair design over the winter to begin repairs on the trail as soon as it is safe to do so."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2017 01:33PM by abetterpitchfork.
November 14, 2017 07:07AM
And The Marioposa Grove was supposed to reopen in Spring 2017.

Maybe basilbop will slow down enough to post some of his 400 trips this year.

(or anyone else out there who lurk and never post)

Happy Thanksgiving everyone

Chick-on is looking at you!
November 14, 2017 08:39PM
Happy Thanksgiving to all. Everyone please post more, to keep this great site from fading away.
November 14, 2017 08:54PM
chick-on

Alright! I am definitely one of the lurkers though did less of Yosemite last summer and explored a bit of Trinity Alps and north of Tahoe.

Was thinking of stringing Pohono and Panorama over the Thanksgiving weekend - Friday evening to Sunday.- and with ice cut closed, that throws a spanner in the plan if Panorama trail is a no go and 4 mile or traversing back to Tunnel View is the only option. I am assuming/hoping that the GP road will be closed so that I can camp at Taft Point or Sentinel dome. Going around north dome and camping at Indian Arch is my other option with day 1 at Watkins, although that would need an earlier start than Friday 5pm smiling smiley.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
November 14, 2017 10:36PM
Would love to see some stuff from the Trinity Alps
November 15, 2017 03:31AM
nwhkr
chick-on

Alright! I am definitely one of the lurkers though did less of Yosemite last summer and explored a bit of Trinity Alps and north of Tahoe.

Was thinking of stringing Pohono and Panorama over the Thanksgiving weekend - Friday evening to Sunday.- and with ice cut closed, that throws a spanner in the plan if Panorama trail is a no go and 4 mile or traversing back to Tunnel View is the only option. I am assuming/hoping that the GP road will be closed so that I can camp at Taft Point or Sentinel dome. Going around north dome and camping at Indian Arch is my other option with day 1 at Watkins, although that would need an earlier start than Friday 5pm smiling smiley.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Look at the map again - officially you can still come down via the Mist Trail from Nevada Falls. I can understand not wanting to do so, but if you're thinking of stringing Pohono and Panorama together, right now it's still an option.
January 18, 2018 03:15PM

3 May 2017
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login