Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (85% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Planning Onion Valley to Mount Whitney

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Planning Onion Valley to Mount Whitney
December 26, 2017 12:46PM
So I’ve started planning/looking at next years big trip which will be Onion Valley to Mount Whitney. Right now I’m just in the beginning stages but looking for any advice or tips for that section of trail including anything not to be missed.
We will have up to 7-8 days again this year so plenty of time to explore and enjoy ourselves just like last years 80 mile trip in Yosemite.
Right now we are planning for the last part of June depending on snowpack.
avatar Re: Planning Onion Valley to Mount Whitney
December 28, 2017 06:42PM
I made that trek in Aug 2013. Be sure to spend the night in Onion Valley and get lots of rest as the first 3 miles are butt-kickers. I recommend the john Muir Trail Book to pick campsites near water, bear boxes, etc. Be sure to camp on the rocks next to guitar lake for an easy jump into the lake/bath! The toilet at crabtree meadows is not to be missed either!
February 22, 2018 11:03PM
I think wonderful adventure we had during those unbelievable one weeks in the Mount Whitney! To say that our tour was impressive would be an understatement. It was enjoyed, chilling and lovely all at some time.
March 20, 2018 11:19AM
I've hiked this section numerous times, and what sticks out is Bubb's Creek south of Vidette Meadow. Be sure to camp in this section before leaving the woods and starting up the north side of Forester. It mixes a gorgeous burbling stream, green ground cover, decent sized trees and stunning alpine views.

Also, if you go in late June you'll be running into PCT hikers. It would be worth spending an extra half hour finding a campspot near water well off the trail, both out of sight and hearing. If a day brings you to Wallace or Wright Creeks, walk a half hour upstream to the tree's edge to get away from the herd.

Jeff...
March 20, 2018 08:41PM
It's a beautiful hike, but there is almost certainly going to be snow on Forester Pass in June. In 2011 I was postholing up the North Side at the end of August. That was
a heavy snow year, but still. As long as you are ready for it, fine.
I agree with AileenJason, the altitude at Onion Valley always gets my attention.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login