Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

Advanced

Re: September 2017 Backpacking Video Trip Report

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

September 2017 Backpacking Video Trip Report
January 05, 2018 01:44PM
Another amazing trip into the Sierra's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGvbMYnGwTY&t=405s

Charlie
January 06, 2018 11:23AM
I like the tunes. TR is good too, thanks.

Some of the photos look like they're reversed.
January 07, 2018 04:10PM
Thanks! Now I need to find the photos that got reversed sad smiley
January 17, 2018 01:01PM
Amazing trip Charlie. Great video!

Do you mind me asking about where you camped that first night? Might be headed in there early May and it looks like an awesome spot!
January 19, 2018 02:39PM
outdoormarsh
Amazing trip Charlie. Great video!

Do you mind me asking about where you camped that first night? Might be headed in there early May and it looks like an awesome spot!

At the top of the Snow Creek trail (leaving from Mirror Lake) you cross the bridge and hit an open spot which has many areas to camp... but don't. Head south toward Half Dome and you find that amazing site on the lip of Tenaya Canyon. Room for a bunch of tents. Ranger said there is a bear up there that... get this... tosses canisters off the cliff and goes down to get the contents. Said to keep the canisters far from the edge in the woods and pile pots/pans on them so you can intervene if you hear them in the middle of the night. It was one of the best sites I have ever camped at.

Charlie
January 20, 2018 09:44AM
Is that in the area that's been off-limits for camping for some time now? See: https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/conditions.htm:

"Due to bear activity along the Snow Creek trail and the potential for bear/human interactions the area to the south and east of the footbridge is closed to overnight camping and unattended food (even if stores properly). The National Park Service will continue to monitor the bears' activity and will re-open the area to camping as soon as possible. The trails and areas are open to day hiking."
January 20, 2018 06:13PM
Not quite The Geezer, but getting there
Is that in the area that's been off-limits for camping for some time now? See: https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/conditions.htm:

"Due to bear activity along the Snow Creek trail and the potential for bear/human interactions the area to the south and east of the footbridge is closed to overnight camping and unattended food (even if stores properly). The National Park Service will continue to monitor the bears' activity and will re-open the area to camping as soon as possible. The trails and areas are open to day hiking."

That's a bummer... it's a great spot. Your "some time now" seems a little passive aggressive... but maybe I'm reading into it wrong smiling smiley I can say for certainty in September the ranger directed us to THAT site and mentioned the bear and said keep the canisters far from the lip.
January 21, 2018 12:14AM
If a Ranger directed told me it was ok to camp somewhere, like you I'd rely on that as good info!

I don't recall when the notice first went up on the web site, but I'm pretty sure it's been at least since last spring - the notice itself is dated May 31, 2017. If they've rescinded the restriction, it would be nice if they'd update the web site accordingly.
January 21, 2018 08:41PM
Not quite The Geezer, but getting there
If they've rescinded the restriction, it would be nice if they'd update the web site accordingly.

It hasn't been rescinded. As it has been such a mild winter and there is little to no snow on the ground, the bears typical hibernation patterns have been altered because there are still food sources available, ie not covered under snow.
January 17, 2018 03:34PM
I've also seen sunrise from atop Half Dome-pretty cool
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login