Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (82% of Full)


Advanced

CR in 3 weeks

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar CR in 3 weeks
January 29, 2018 01:53PM
So we're planning on climbing Cloud's Rest in about 3 weeks. Any news or input on this hike from the valley? I know there is a lot of weather happening between now and then, but is the mist trail a possibility? Party of 4 with 2 being very proficient in winter climbing/hiking and the other 2 having minimal experience. Thanks
Re: CR in 3 weeks
January 29, 2018 02:27PM
I'd assume the mist trail is doable considering the minimal snowfall we have had this year. 3 weeks you say...presidents day weekend? I'll be out in Yose that weekend and am planning for CR too!
So far forecasters are saying its going to be relatively dry with maybe a 1 or two minor storms for Feb.
avatar Re: CR in 3 weeks
January 29, 2018 02:39PM
Yeah, President's Day weekend. Thinking of camping at the HD/JMT intersection.
Re: CR in 3 weeks
January 29, 2018 02:42PM
Quote
VengeanceASX
Yeah, President's Day weekend. Thinking of camping at the HD/JMT intersection.

Nice! Same. We are planning to get to the Valley friday then heading up Sat and hopefully reaching CR by Sun. Just worried about the Valley crowd though. May delay to the following monday.
avatar Re: CR in 3 weeks
January 29, 2018 03:14PM
Yeah, it's going to be Firefall Weekend. Might be sleeping in the truck.
Re: CR in 3 weeks
January 29, 2018 03:48PM
Quote
VengeanceASX
Yeah, it's going to be Firefall Weekend. Might be sleeping in the truck.
damn completely forgot about that. We are planning to hit the trail around 4-5am. If you want to drive up friday night, you can spend the night at our campsite in upper pines.
Re: CR in 3 weeks
January 29, 2018 05:26PM
Quote
VengeanceASX
So we're planning on climbing Cloud's Rest in about 3 weeks. Any news or input on this hike from the valley? I know there is a lot of weather happening between now and then, but is the mist trail a possibility? Party of 4 with 2 being very proficient in winter climbing/hiking and the other 2 having minimal experience. Thanks

Search this forum and you might find my post from a few days back. The conditions probably haven't changed much even after some decent snowfall as the daytime high is in 50s. The snow level and snowpack right now are very similar to what I had during my trip.
Re: CR in 3 weeks
January 29, 2018 05:39PM
Re: CR in 3 weeks
January 30, 2018 01:17PM
According to the post in the general section, the mist trail has reopened
avatar Re: CR in 3 weeks
January 31, 2018 08:54AM
We won't be in until late Friday night and we'll have to get permits on Saturday. I spoke with a ranger yesterday and she said snow in minimal around LYV. Bear containers are required until 7200 feet. I checked that trail report and I can't believe how little snow there is. We did this same hike about 3 years ago and had to turn around less than a mile from the top of CR due to slush up to our chests even with snow shoes on.
Re: CR in 3 weeks
January 31, 2018 11:31AM
Wow, that's a lot of snow. Yeah, I don't expect any snow at the junction where we camped unless there is 1'-2' of new snow. Nice clicks, thanks for sharing.

Quote
VengeanceASX
Bear containers are required until 7200 feet. .

Just FYI. I believe one still needs to hang the food for bear safety as per park guidelines.
avatar Re: CR in 3 weeks
January 31, 2018 12:12PM
Yeah, we'll be hanging our food.
Re: CR in 3 weeks
January 31, 2018 02:27PM
Quote
VengeanceASX
We won't be in until late Friday night and we'll have to get permits on Saturday. I spoke with a ranger yesterday and she said snow in minimal around LYV. Bear containers are required until 7200 feet. I checked that trail report and I can't believe how little snow there is. We did this same hike about 3 years ago and had to turn around less than a mile from the top of CR due to slush up to our chests even with snow shoes on.

Yea.. the webcam at 8k feet paints a grim picture too. Might not even bring snowshoes if it stays the same
avatar Re: CR in 3 weeks
January 31, 2018 09:43AM
Sorry, 2 years ago. Here are some pics to give you an idea of those conditions

towards Cloud's Rest




I'm the on the left

Nevada Fall


Little Yosemite Valley


Vernal Fall


Yosemite Valley Camp 4




Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2018 09:45AM by VengeanceASX.
avatar Re: CR in 3 weeks
February 09, 2018 03:01PM
One more week! Any one know if there is enough snow or other water source between LYV and CR to stay up past the Half Dome/JMT junction? Or should we just stay at LYV?
avatar Re: CR in 3 weeks
February 12, 2018 02:11PM
CR Junction has water...
The CR spring was not really flowing last week...
(I wouldn't / didn't rely on it)

As for snow... probably... more than likely... but it has been VERY warm lately...
and now there is a "storm"

All depends where exactly you plan on setting up...

There SOO little snow... either LYV bear boxes... or bring a bear can.
(it's not winter rulez imo)

have fun



Chick-on is looking at you!
avatar Re: CR in 3 weeks
February 13, 2018 11:22AM
So if we set up at the CR sunrise lake Trail/JMT junction, will we be able to filter water or melt snow?

If not then we'll stay at LYV. Just trying to work out the logistics. I guess we could always see if Sunrise Creek is flowing when we start up towards CR from LYV.
avatar Re: CR in 3 weeks
February 13, 2018 02:39PM
Yes

This is flowing:
https://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=37.744954,-119.503162&z=16&t=t4

(I've never NOT seen it flowing)

Sunrise Creek is also flowing...
(which can be gotten to from CR / JMT Junction pretty easily)



Chick-on is looking at you!
avatar Re: CR in 3 weeks
February 13, 2018 02:58PM
Awesome, Thanks!
Re: CR in 3 weeks
February 13, 2018 10:15PM
Quote
chick-on
Yes
This is flowing:
https://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=37.744954,-119.503162&z=16&t=t4
(I've never NOT seen it flowing)

Yup it was flowing in mid-January and I don't see any reason why it won't be flowing now..unless it freezes and it's much lower than the freezing range as of now. one might have to go a few steps upstream from the junction to get the flowing water.

Not sure if we found the well-touted camping spot that's mentioned in this forum. We camped about 50' left of the CR trail and west/left of chick-on's marker. It's an established campsite with a clear section free of trees.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login