Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (85% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Snowshoes for CR in 2 weeksconfused smiley

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Snowshoes for CR in 2 weeksconfused smiley
February 02, 2018 11:31AM
Any opinions out there on whether or not snowshoes will be needed to climb Cloud's Rest in 2 weeks? Long term forecast doesn't show any new major storms in the next few weeks.
Re: Snowshoes for CR in 2 weeksconfused smiley
February 02, 2018 02:12PM
VengeanceASX
Any opinions out there on whether or not snowshoes will be needed to climb Cloud's Rest in 2 weeks? Long term forecast doesn't show any new major storms in the next few weeks.

Seeing the webcam, I say probably not. Seeing how the snow level is generally around 8000-8500, that would mean you'd be almost up to the quarter domes before seeing snow.

My partner and I are moving our trip up a day earlier and will be heading up to the HD/CR junction friday and hopefully move camp up to CR by Sat noon. If you'd like, I could message you some beta friday night via satellite messenger regarding snow conditions

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2018 02:15PM by KevinD.
avatar Re: Snowshoes for CR in 2 weeksconfused smiley
February 04, 2018 09:12AM
Ran into a few people who hiked CR friday...

Short answer:
No

Long answer:
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

(seriously... it's ridic how little snow there is... you could do it in flip flops)
(I'm not joking)

Anywho... if you are going OVER towards Sunrise... then I'd bring snowshoes
(though I've yet to use snow shoes or carry them this year (this "winter"winking smiley)
(been up CR twice... over CR... to Tenaya Lake 3 times... to TM twice...
GCT... past Cathedral Lakes ... etc etc... just ridic how little snow)

It could dump anytime though I guess... so ymmv ... and it's your life
I'd definitely not do South Fork of Merced as a dahike tho
smiling smiley

Chick-on is looking at you!
avatar Re: Snowshoes for CR in 2 weeksconfused smiley
February 06, 2018 09:00AM
Ok, well I'm guessing no snow shoes then. I'm headed to Yosemite this weekend with the family to do some day hiking and check things out. I appreciate the input from everyone, thanks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login