Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (73% of Full)

Rocketlawyer.com

Advanced

Re: TR Cloud's Rest 2-17/2-19

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar TR Cloud's Rest 2-17/2-19
February 24, 2018 09:43AM
Just a follow up from my backpacking trip and summit of Cloud's Rest last weekend. The wilderness center was full and we were the 2nd in line, but already there were only 6 spots left for the Happy isle TH quota and no spots available for staying overnight in LYV. We got lucky the night before and snagged a spot in Camp 4. It was crazy the amount of activity there all night. Met a really nice guy from New Zealand and another lady from Russia. Both were working here in the States.
The trail was nice and clear when we started Saturday morning. If was probably close to 50 degrees on the trail that morning with a ton of people in the park. We took the mist trail up, which wasn't as easy as I had hoped because of all the people trying to rush by and there were a ton of people with tripods set up on the trail. It was a hot and sweaty climb up Nevada Fall and up to the Cloud's Rest/JMT junction where we were staying. We took our time and didn't set up camp until about 4 in the afternoon.
Saturday overnight temp. wasn't bad and we were on the trail at 8:30. We summited Cloud's Rest around 11:00 and hung out there for a good 2 hours before the bad weather started. Temps dropped easily 10-15 degrees and winds were probably 20-30 mph gusts. We started heading down around 1:30pm and made it back to camp by 3pm. We gathered all our water and firewood for the night. We met a really nice couple the day before and they came to eat dinner with us. We hung out by the fire and the weather got bad around 5:00pm and it was a crazy snow storm by 9:00pm. We didn't hang out in that mess for too long. Our water around the camp fire froze and so did everything else. My thermometer had it close to single digits that night and we woke up to a few inches of snow the next morning. We had to build a fire to thaw our things out to get on the trail and it snowed another 2-3 inched in the next 2 hours. It was an icy trek down. microspikes would have been nice, but all I had were my crampons. It was just icy rock, so we just took our time. took about 3 1/2 hours to get down and Yosemite was on chain control, so that slowed us leaving the park. I didn't have to chain up, but there were still a lot of people leaving that we had to wait on.
Overall it was an awesome weekend that I would gladly do again. It was tough going back to work the next day. I met quite of few people that were excited for the Firefall and so hopeful that some water might start coming down. I afraid that when there was enough to make it over, there wasn't any sunlight to light it.

Camp 4

Start of the Hike

Heading up the Mist Trail

Top of Vernal Fall

Climbing up Nevada Fall trail

Base Camp

Quarter Dome

Top of Cloud's Rest

Storm at Base Camp

Snow the next morning

Icy Steps down Nevada Fall

Icy Vernal Fall

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2018 10:00AM by VengeanceASX.
February 25, 2018 12:34AM
Looks like you guys had a great trip! Well except for that snow wind storm at the end! Thanks for sharing

Also, does the quota come into effect for holidays? I thought there wasn't a quota till the end of april

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2018 12:35AM by KevinD.
avatar Re: TR Cloud's Rest 2-17/2-19
February 26, 2018 07:24AM
Thanks for coming back and sharing.

Sorry, I thought was super clear ... I guess as usual in my brain only ...
Don't need crampons... bring microspikes...

Anywho... sorry about that... I wasn't blowing smoke out of my chick-on ...
since I did dayhike it a few weekends before... smiling smiley

(really, any hike in winter pretty much micros... snow... turns to ice with
peeps walking on trail... )

Have fun

O, Kevin, ... it's been quota pretty much year round in LYV for a number
of years. Actually all the trails out of the valley are supposed to be
get ur permit from the Valley Visitor Center.

Chick-on is looking at you!
February 26, 2018 09:39AM
Yeah, I actually don't have a pair of microspikes. Both the guys I were with had theirs, they just never put them on. Mine blew apart last year and I never replaced them. It was a great trip, I just couldn't believe all the people hiking. There were lines on the mist trail almost like spring. I'll be back again in 3 weeks for spring break with the family. Looking forward to some possible late snow.
February 26, 2018 01:37PM
Oh! Didn't know that! I knew about having to get a permit from the office but didn't know the actual quota was in effect. I usually go for the Happy Isles to Sunrise permit
February 26, 2018 09:11AM
Looks like a fun time. I enjoyed reading about your adventures. It made me regret the Sausage McMuffin I had for breakfast. Thanks for the report.
February 26, 2018 06:37PM
Cool. Thanks for the post.
February 26, 2018 07:50PM
Thanks for sharing!

I’m with Chick-on... I carry micro or nano spikes at minimum until I’m sure ice won’t be an issue.
February 27, 2018 02:36PM
Yeah, I need to get some. They would have been helpful.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login