Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (78% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Tioga pass opening date

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

April 02, 2018 08:45AM
Any consensus for a decent estimation of when hwy 120 may open this spring?
April 02, 2018 10:45AM
Unless another major storm...May 24th.
April 02, 2018 03:21PM
Historic opening dates: https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tiogaopen.htm

I guess we are waiting for a new snowpack report so we can compare 2018 to recent years.

I have read articles suggesting 2018 will be 50-80% of average. The link above says "67%."

Assuming we are in that range and opening date is consistent with recent, similar snowpack years, I would guess May 18... or maybe earlier?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2018 08:15PM by Alex L.
April 19, 2018 01:18PM
https://www.travelyosemite.com/things-to-do/shopping-supplies-groceries/#tuolumne-meadows-store

According to the above website, the Tuolomne Meadows Store will open May 25.
avatar Re: Tioga pass opening date
April 21, 2018 02:19PM
Jeffrey Olson
According to the above website, the Tuolomne Meadows Store will open May 25.

I hope you understand they don't actually know.
April 19, 2018 09:45PM
The Tioga and Glacier Point Road Plowing web page says they were mobilizing to begin plowing Glacier Point Road on 02 April, and they expected to begin plowing Tioga Road around 15 April.

I'm guessing the big valley flooding event and the recent April snows probably forced them to divert manpower and equipment from plowing those roads to other more immediate road maintenance duties. Not sure if that delay will significantly affect the opening date for Tioga Pass. We'll see what next week's initial reports tell us.

At least it looks like they have several days of warm, sunny weather ahead which should help their efforts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2018 09:48PM by FatFlatlander.
April 28, 2018 09:42AM
Good to read the Glacier Point Road opened to cars today. So might do a short road trip in the near term since as a now retired guy, every day I wake up is Saturday. Also looking forward to the east end of SR120 opening up at least to Ellery as I just dusted off from several years of non-use and re-glued my climbing skins then bought new ski binding adapters.

http://www.davidsenesac.com
April 29, 2018 03:06PM
Rumor has it that the road up Tioga Pass will open this Thursday.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2018 03:33PM by markskor.
April 29, 2018 03:59PM
Great, thanks for the heads up. Keeping my fingers crossed as there could be a slight dusting of snow in the coming days. I was hedging my bets for the May 12th weekend.

Thanks to eeek as well for all the regular updates, those are very very helpful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2018 09:16PM by nwhkr.
May 16, 2018 03:35PM
Latest rumor...They will open the road through Tioga this Monday.
May 16, 2018 06:36PM
Here is another rumor to throw in the pile:

https://m.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1635134993188538&id=132219606813425

"The Lakes Basin Road opens tomorrow at noon. We are hearing rumors - just rumors, but they are from people who would be well placed to know the most – that Tioga Pass Road will open this weekend as well. Do not plan on this, but keep your eye on the ball, if you are one of those people chomping at the bit to get through the park."

Everyone waiting with baited breath!
May 17, 2018 09:09AM
Chomp, chomp
May 17, 2018 11:26AM
"Yosemite National Park Announces that Tioga Road (Highway 120 East) will open for the season to all vehicular traffic on Monday, May 21, 2018 at 9:00 am.

There will be limited services available along Tioga Road. All campgrounds along Tioga Road remain closed. There is no anticipated opening date for the Tuolumne Meadows store and the Tuolumne Meadows Visitor Center. There is no gasoline available along Tioga Road. The closest gas station is located at Crane Flat."

https://www.nps.gov/yose/learn/news/yosemite-national-park-announces-that-tioga-road-will-open-for-the-season-on-monday-may-21-2018.htm
May 17, 2018 02:29PM
Well I won't be at the gate unless I cancel my early dentist appointment, but I CAN leave directly from there spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
May 17, 2018 03:03PM
So lemme git dis right. You live on East Side... looking at dem mountains year a round.
And you're excited about Tioga Pass opening?
smiling smiley
Um.

Yup

Yosemite IS Better
smiling smiley

(really tho.. so many great trails and stuff over on ur side o da tracks.. kinda want to hang out
over there for a couple of weeks and just go cra cra)

And, let's not forget bout the BBQ!
(we won't!)

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 17, 2018 03:31PM
Ha! I was thinking the same.

Love Ansel Adams Wilderness and haven't even ventured around Palisades yet.
May 19, 2018 08:39AM
Tradition! I was the first car (three month old Subaru) at the east side gate when it opened in June 1978. I had to drive over Sonora to do it as I was working in Yosemite Valley. At that time, there was supposed to be no stopping along the road, with 10 foot high snow banks along the edges and only a single lane plowed by Olmsted Point. It has never been opened in conditions like that since.

The year before I went over in April and, at that time, I didn't realize that it didn't open that time every year. I learned a lot in the time in between. And since.

But, of course, the east side is best...that is why we live here...just passed the 30 year mark this month.

But it IS exciting to go the Yosemite high country, (Would've like to see it 8 days ago, on our return trip from the valley, better, though.)
May 21, 2018 04:32PM
hikerchick395
Tradition!

That is awesome!!! Thanks for sharing.
Nice pic as well!
May 19, 2018 08:53AM

Yes...it tough to look at. We lived at the bottom of that glacial moraine for 10 years, then currently reside in the dark green square (for 20 years.)
May 21, 2018 03:30PM
Tanks for the response!

Fun! (the tradition)

Purty!

And... Jim Morrison said "The West is... the best... The... West... is... the best..."
smiling smiley
(seriously... absolutely LOVE THE SIERRA!!!) (don't care Yosemite or not)

Have fun!

Chick-on is looking at you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login