Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (81% of Full)

nordvpn

Advanced

Re: Gaylor/granite lakes

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

April 20, 2018 10:49AM
We want to do a warmup day hike near Tuolumne meadows the day before we set out on our 4 day wilderness hike. I'm wondering if we should expect Gaylor lakes to be frozen in late June. I don't think it would dissuade us from it either way, it seems like a good way to spend 4 or so hours to get acclimated to the altitude on a trail that offers a very different type of landscape that we won't otherwise see. Just curious what conditions may be like at the lakes, and if it's a good hike for late spring or one that is better to do later in the summer or fall.
April 20, 2018 08:46PM
The report from Tuolumne Meadows Wilderness station this week says that just about all of the lakes up to 10,000 are either icing out or already melted. You should have no concerns about it in June.

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
April 21, 2018 09:28PM
Use the trailhead at Tioga entrance and when you get to the lakes cross country to all of them. Some interesting mines and stuff up there.

Old Dude
May 01, 2018 12:16AM
I went to Gaylor Lakes after a backpacking trip in June the year after the drought ended. There was no snow near Tioga Pass, just on the peaks around it. However, after I hiked over the ridge from Tioga Pass to the lakes, I found the other side totally covered in snow and the lakes were still mostly frozen, but not enough to walk on them safely. There was only a few inches of snow in most places, but it was enough to use my crampons. If the snow has melted by the time you get there, it could be a giant bog of water, since the area that the trail goes through around the lakes is nearly flat, causing the melted snow to pool until the sun dries it up.

If you want a snow free, dry, warm-up hike, try taking the day hike to the top of Lembert Dome. You can even make a circle out of it and come back from it differently than the way you approached it. There should be no snow and no creeks to cross.
May 14, 2018 12:57PM
Conditions Saturday...

tongue sticking out smiley

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 15, 2018 03:50AM
Thanks for posting the photo - the views of the Cathedral Range from that area are some of my favorite anywhere.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login