All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

June 03, 2018 06:49PM
I'm awake and hungry now. Very disappointed my friends didn't wake me up for any backcountry skiing this year. They say they didn't get a chance to do any, but whatever, they obviously didn't try hard enough. Anyway - they cheered me up with a longer version of our annual Tioga Pass opening pilgrimage. The first day was our traditional frontcountry mini-hikes, this time we did Olmsted Point, Tenaya Lake, Pothole Dome, the twin bridges over Lyell fork, and the Gaylord Lakes trail. We camped down in Lee Vining Canyon, and the next day we hiked from Porcupine Creek to North Dome. There were delays at Ellery Lake due to Warner Bros. filming something and taking up every inch of the shoulders, pull-outs, parking in the area, along with blocking the road from time to time, so the third day we did a short hike in Little Lakes Valley instead of returning to Yosemite.

Tenaya Lake was absolutely infested with mosquitos, and we found a new fire ring near the outlet. GRRRRRRRR. The outlet is easy to cross, shouldn't get anything wet besides the paws.

Was surprised to not see, hear or feel mosquitos along the Toulumne!

Gaylord Lakes Trail had a few patches of snow still on it, but easy to walk through, until the ridge. From the ridge down into the drainage, the snow was everywhere.

Next day went out to North Dome. Pleasant walk. Again surprised by the lack of mosquitos.

Day 3 we decided not to deal with delays at Ellery Lake, so stopped at Little Lakes Valley on the way back to the den. Snow free until Long Lake, then pretty constant snow.

Do what you love.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2018 06:51PM by Ursa Minor.
Re: Annual Spring Pilgrimage
June 04, 2018 06:37AM
Great early season report. Thanks for posting.
June 04, 2018 08:42AM
Thank you, looks like you had fun.

I love the pictures of your North Dome trip with those great clouds (I used to do landscape photography but never was lucky with such a dramatic sky during my North Dome trips). I also love that arch (I think one of only two in all of Yosemite?).
avatar Re: Annual Spring Pilgrimage
June 04, 2018 04:44PM
I had a lot of fun, my only complaint was not having enough time and energy to do more!

Speaking of photography, I guess I lied about my only complaint - my other complaint is that the Sierra and particularly Yosemite are so beautiful and awesome that my pictures just can not do it justice.

Where is the other arch? There is a lot of Yosemite I need to explore yet.

Do what you love.
June 04, 2018 10:30PM
Ursa Minor
....particularly Yosemite are so beautiful and awesome that my pictures just can not do it justice.

Where is the other arch? There is a lot of Yosemite I need to explore yet.

I agree. Pictures can not do it justice. For me it's keeping some memories alive. I have a large print of the North Face that I took from North Dome on my wall and every time I enter my office I'm remembered of happy days. winking smiley

That is a good question. It's been a long time that I've read about the second arch and I never actively tried to find it. If I remember correctly it's very small and "under water" in the Tuolumne (Dana Fork?). The more knowledgeable folks here probably can shed some light on this.

Update: I did a quick search on the web and this video Underwater arch. If it's really this place I've been there a couple of times but never noticed it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2018 10:39PM by Half Dome Hiker.
June 04, 2018 05:04PM
When did you go? On the Tioga Pass opening day, there was lots of scaffolding near the dam at Ellery Lake and the parking lots were blocked off, but no vehicles (vehicles right at the dam.)
June 04, 2018 06:54PM
Last Tuesday and Wednesday. Tuesday looked like utility company and/or contractors doing dam work or something similar. Wednesday earlyish, we followed a caravan of "Star Wagons" (mobile dressing rooms) up the canyon and saw the WB logo in a few places and waited for 15 minutes or more while they moved vehicles around. CHP was doing traffic control.

Do what you love.
June 06, 2018 06:56AM
Awesomeness.

Tanks fur Sharon.

I didn't no bares skeed.

Swoop swoop (schwooop schwooop ? )

This spring we took a little drive to Bishop and checked out Lee Vining all
the way to the Power Plant. It was very nice. Pretty much all the canyons are tho.
smiling smiley

Chick-on is looking at you!
June 10, 2018 07:33PM
Who said any bears ski? That backcountry skiing looks like a lot of work. My trick is to be slow enough, small enough, and cute enough for others to want to carry me spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Do what you love.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login