All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

TR 5-6 An Attempt to find a beautiful pink-ish Sunset in SEKI
June 06, 2018 05:25PM
Hey all!

Long story short, we got tired of the city and decided to head to SEKI in hopes of catching a beautiful sunset!

Left LA at 430ish and got to the parking lot at around 10ish. Unlike the last time we were here, the parking lot was bone dry. Not a bad thing...but I sort-of missed seeing snow

Ran into some snowy patches on some northern slopes not to far from the trailhead

Then more snow further along the trail. Maybe about 1.5 miles in.

more snow...

even more snow....

Ok by now I was getting a little bit tired of walking on snow...But hey! being in nature is a whole lot better than spending the weekend in Los Angeles! (as evident in my smile)

After a few more miles in, we made it to our destination! The view(s) were stunning!

Poor quality close up of the rock formation

Couldn't help but noticing this odd tree on a tree? confused smiley

After some further exploration, we set up camp in a nice spot then began melting snow for water. There were a few creeks on the way out but we didn't feel like going back downhill

Fresh mountain water!

After melting enough snow, we started prepping our dinner which consisted of linguine w/ pesto, sun-dried tomatoes, pine nuts, bell peppers, Parmesan cheese, and red peppers
Before...

...After!

Thankfully we made dinner just right on time as the sun was setting.

Pink rays coming in

Last bits of the sunset

Probably could have been even prettier if the clouds had cleared off but we still got a decent light show that made the trip worthwhile!
avatar Re: TR 5-6 An Attempt to find a beautiful pink-ish Sunset in SEKI
June 06, 2018 05:44PM
Love that second-to-last shot

- Billy Joel
Re: TR 5-6 An Attempt to find a beautiful pink-ish Sunset in SEKI
June 07, 2018 05:57AM
JRinGeorgia
Love that second-to-last shot
Dotto. Beautiful
June 07, 2018 10:40AM
Very nice, and as someone who is stuck in L.A., I appreciate your sharing. Beautiful views (and the food looks good too).
Tree on a tree: as Rick James would say, that's super freaky! smiling smiley
June 06, 2018 06:37PM
Thank you! Cheers me up.

Tho we were out 6 days for Memorial Day weekend, During thentrip, i came down with the cold Basilbop had at the start of that week and have been sick since. And will have to miss yet another weekend thanks to this stupid cough.

So seeing a beloved area.. yay!

Hope all well with you guys!
June 07, 2018 12:32PM
Your photos are as wonderful as ever, especially that second-to-last shot smiling smiley

Any chance you can tell me where in the park(s) this is? The fiancee and I are headed down to SEKI this weekend, and I have no idea where to even begin.
June 07, 2018 12:56PM
abetterpitchfork

Any chance you can tell me where in the park(s) this is? The fiancee and I are headed down to SEKI this weekend, and I have no idea where to even begin.

Without divulging KevinD's secret spot... you can get similar views of the Great Western Divide and Castle Rocks from Moro Rock, which is probably more accessible if you're doing day hikes. Another similar view can be had from Eagle View, which is just past Log Meadow--a short-ish hike from Crescent Meadow. Another good place for sunset views is... Sunset Rock, whose trail starts near the museum area (specifically, near the parking lot which is across the street from the actual museum.)
June 12, 2018 12:01AM
Thanks for sharing some hot insider tips, basilbop! I'm very happy to benefit from all of your expertise smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login