Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (82% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Bridalveil campground closed for use as a fire camp

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Bridalveil campground closed for use as a fire camp
July 18, 2018 06:48AM
Just an FYI, I had a group site reservation at Bridalveil campground starting today through the weekend. The campground called yesterday and said everyone must be out of the campground by noon on Thursday. The campground will be going to turned into a fire camp for the firefighters on the Ferguson Fire. She also said air quality is really bad and it was raining ash. If you were planning to camp at that location, alter your plans.

-Chris
July 19, 2018 12:53PM
Per YNP, Glacier Point Road will be closed tonight:

The Glacier Point Road will close at 10 pm tonight (July 19). Firefighting resources of the nearby #FergusonFire have necessitated the need for a small base camp at the Yosemite Ski and Snowboard Area (formerly Badger Pass) and Bridalveil Creek Campground (which is also closed).
July 19, 2018 02:49PM
So I am supposed to be hiking in the Tuolumne Meadows area next week. Is the smoke just too much for this to be a good trip ? I am wondering if I should cancel. It is a 10 hr drive from Salt Lake City

Thanks
July 19, 2018 03:35PM
There's no really good way to know what things will be like in a week, and the conditions can change day by day based on the wind direction, possible rain, etc.. If the winds push the fire to the southwest, it will run up against the lines they've been building to protect the Mariposa area and will probably start to taper off, but if it's pushed up the South Fork canyon, there's a lot for it to burn without much to stop it (the focus has been on protecting buildings in the Mariposa and 140 area and Yosemite West, not the canyon between the fire and Wawona).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login