Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (71% of Full)

Advanced

In search of old trail to Hite's Cove from Hwy 140

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

In search of old trail to Hite's Cove from Hwy 140
August 06, 2018 05:48PM
The Ferguson Fire has removed a lot of vegetation from the area northeast of the confluence the Merced River and its confluence with the South Fork.
One trail I've always wanted to track is from Hwy 140 to the ridge overlooking Hite's Cove. This track would be east of the current path.
Any takers. It'll likely be dusty, dirty and somewhat hazardous.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2018 05:54PM by Explorer10K.
Re: In search of old trail to Hite's Cove from Hwy 140
August 07, 2018 08:57AM
Do you mean the trail that leaves from Indian Flat Campground (near Cedar Lodge) that is shown on the USGS topo? If so, that is an old road and has been accessible for a while, with some partially overgrown sections near Hite Cove. I believe the fire burned hot near Hite Cove so it will be interesting to see what it looks like there. Though most of the understory is likely gone, there could be downed trees over the road making travel more difficult.

Often times after a fire there is an area closure. I haven't seen one yet, but the incident is still on going. Highway 140 to El Portal just opened this morning. I'm not sure on how soon you are planning on going, but I would wait a little bit. With big fires there can be unburned patches and hotspots for many weeks afterwards. Staying on the road would likely be safe but still a concern.

Otherwise, I am excited about some of the other trails/roads in the burn area that were overgrown and will now be accessible in the fall. Plus with all the handline and dozer work up there, some of the trails and roads might actually be improved.
August 07, 2018 10:35AM
If I recall, this old Hite Cove trail was part of the route from Mariposa to Yosemite Valley via El Portal / Hennessy Ranch. Another segment of this route that may be free of vegetation is the one from Hennessy Ranch to the Old Wawona Road in the Grouse Creek area. There's also the old Sunset Trail that went from the Arch Rock area up to the Wawona Road.

Also, in the Hite Cove area, the north side trail from Hite to Sims Cove may be passable, as might be the Pinoche Ridge trail from the ridge above Hite Cove to Canty Meadow.

It's going to be a busy winter, assuming the forest is open by then...
August 09, 2018 12:11PM
Looking around I found some closure notices for both fires. The Stanislaus is until Sept 30 and the Sierra is until the Ferguson Fire is declared out. The areas indicated are fairly large and are probably worst case scenarios with the growth of the fire and to get people out of the way. Both closures were written in July, so over a week ago. Presumably, they will be rescinded with a more specific closure to the Ferguson Fire footprint when the fire is out.

Typically fire closures last until at least the first significant winter storm. The rain cools down hot spots and the winds blow down hazard trees. Further, rain can help rocks no longer firmly held in place by trees or vegetation have an opportunity to find a place of better stability. Going before then, you will have those hazards to face. Plus the soil can really dusty, well ashy really, and a pain to hike in.

Late fall would likely be the earliest it would be open, but more likely winter to spring. If the Hite Cove trail isn't too impacted it might a glorious year for flowers (and without the poison oak!)

Stanislaus National Forest Alerts and Notices/Closures

Sierra National Forest Alerts and Notices/Closures
avatar Re: In search of old trail to Hite's Cove from Hwy 140
August 18, 2018 08:49AM
basilbop
If I recall, this old Hite Cove trail was part of the route from Mariposa to Yosemite Valley via El Portal / Hennessy Ranch. Another segment of this route that may be free of vegetation is the one from Hennessy Ranch to the Old Wawona Road in the Grouse Creek area. There's also the old Sunset Trail that went from the Arch Rock area up to the Wawona Road.

Also, in the Hite Cove area, the north side trail from Hite to Sims Cove may be passable, as might be the Pinoche Ridge trail from the ridge above Hite Cove to Canty Meadow.

It's going to be a busy winter, assuming the forest is open by then...

Copy that

smiling smiley

Anyone for a nite-tyme ford of the South Fork

smiling smiley

Wonder if Camp One was saved?

I see they did a hand-line up the South Incline...

Chick-on is looking at you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login