Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (78% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Trip Planning and Fire Activity

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Trip Planning and Fire Activity
August 06, 2018 08:38PM
I'm not sure how many of you are in the same boat as me, but these fires are making trip planning difficult.
I'm spending lots of time reading about the fire updates and have a huge respect for those battling these fires.
I planned to do the Red Peak Pass loop this year (last year we were prevented due to another fire). It's looking unlikely for this year.
Back up to this hike is a loop from Nelson Lake clockwise up towards Cathedral Lakes. If the western entrances to the park are open, this may be an option if the smoke isn't too bad.
Third back up was in the Emigrant Wilderness that I found from Balzaccom's site that looks really interesting. The Donnell fire put a quick end to this one.
I'm now planning a fourth back up in Desolation Wilderness.
I fear that I am now jynxing this area...
The lesson learned is as in a backpacking trip, being flexible is key to an amazing trip.
Anyone else finding that planning their trip is as tricky as mine?
avatar Re: Trip Planning and Fire Activity
August 07, 2018 12:16PM
Yup, our plans for Yosemite were tanked hard. SEKI and Lassen were just as smokey, from what I heard. This is what, the fourth? fifth? July/August/September in a row in which fires have affected the park, and it's only going to get worse as the climate continues to change all around us. At this point, it's probably smart to just not make long-term plans that involve the mountains in summer.
August 07, 2018 01:22PM
You can do some really cool shoulder season backpacking without the typical crowds or permit hassles. I gave up on longer summer trip planning after the rough fire in 2015.

Another thing you can do is find out which mountains are having a big snow year and go there during the summer. It was the Canadian Rockies this year.
August 07, 2018 07:02PM
The Tahoe webcams are showing a lot of smoke, but Desolation will probably have better air than areas further south.
I agree with Red Peak Pass in mid to late September. We may get a window of good air and no local fires. Early October with the right clothing
might also work.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login