Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (76% of Full)

Advanced

Re: TQ help??

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

TQ help??
September 21, 2018 03:36PM
I know this is going to make me sound like a total newbie, but I wanted to clarify what trails the TQ includes. I remember seeing that it includes all trails on the park map provided by YNP, but I wasn't sure if any old abandoned trails were included. After finishing the JMT about a month ago, it got me motivated to get out to Yosemite as frequently as possible. Thanks in advance!
September 24, 2018 07:38AM
hehehe

kewl

We took the park map from entrance and edited it. You can find it here:
https://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?17,86733,86796#msg-86796

If there is a trail sign... then you should do it. But it's up to you what you want to say is complete.

Somewhat amusing is we were in the BOF entrance station and we were told a couple
just finished trail quest by ranger there... hehehe. unfortunately we forgot to ask if they
had done North Mountain and other yummy items like Old Tioga from Porc down to Yose creek cg
and Bald Mountain to Middle Tuol.
Those are yummy.

So yeah, to start out do all the stuff on the park map at the entrance (ok, maybe you can skip
North Mountain since it's not maintained and all but.. .why wouldn't you want to... )

Abandoned trails would be Xtreme TQ.
Along with all the climber trails.

Have fun with it.

And then maybe do Indian Canyon and Ledge and other stuff I'm missing just thinking right now.

Z Old Dood only dooz "backcountry" as TQ... but I sez you should do EVERYTHING …
on official maps and also on any handout... i.e. TM and Valley.
We also been goofing and walking all the campgrounds. smiling smiley
(yeah, we're nuts)

Ok, feel free to ask about any trail. maybe we are missing some. it's possible.

Have fun

Chick-on is looking at you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2018 07:39AM by chick-on.
September 24, 2018 07:42PM
And don't forget the old roads...they range from almost-still-suitable-for-stagecoaches (and, in some cases, even cars) to "WTF am I doing here?!?!?!" Rolling on floor laugh
September 25, 2018 06:52AM
DavidK42
And don't forget the old roads...they range from almost-still-suitable-for-stagecoaches (and, in some cases, even cars) to "WTF am I doing here?!?!?!" Rolling on floor laugh

exactly

yeah, and old rails... and climbers trails that have become maintained...

the map in that link... it's been worked on. quite a bit... almost all have been on the park map at some time...

it's all fun though

SEKI has been very fun and interesting too... that one really requires multiple maps since you gotta do all the trails in Grant Grove, Cedar Grove, and Giant Forest...
and .. even though sign sez "unmaintained trail" … yeah, we're all in … smiling smiley

October 06, 2018 08:17AM
Thanks for the info!! Any favorites areas for the winter months?
September 28, 2018 02:46PM
What is the status of the SEKI trailquest among the Chick-on group- 60%- or more? That's a lot of trail!
October 02, 2018 01:42PM
lschaaf
What is the status of the SEKI trailquest among the Chick-on group- 60%- or more? That's a lot of trail!

smiling smiley

My guess is maybe 50% . Yeah... it's a lot of trail...

Part of the issue / variable is that we haven't been together for all the hiking for various reasons.
So, for example... we have to go back to Franklin Pass, Farewell Gap, Blossom Lakes, Windy Gap,
JO Pass, Siberian Pass, Lake Reflection, Granite Basin, Roaring River, Alta Peak, etc. etc. etc.

So it's going to take many many more years. Not to mention I have to go up to Whitney again...
(I guess I missed Trail Crest) sad smiley

AND we've also been having a lot of fun working on boating all the named lakes in Yosemite.
(JKW got 6 more last weekend w/Ten Lakes n Grant) smiling smiley

Anywho... it's all good

We are having fun

Tanks for askin

October 02, 2018 02:06PM
lschaaf,

Yah, with my injuries and Basilbop's schedule, Chick-on will have to do a lot of stuff twice or more.. such a hardship! smiling smiley It's gorgeous country and I, for one, will benefit from his "recon" trips... where he's figured out where good camping is, so we can plan around my limits accordingly. He and Basilbop have been utterly fabulous and I've been able to have a truly enjoyable hiking season, even if limited in some ways... But we managed to do some really nutty stuff! hehehe.

And yes, as we pore over the maps, and discuss and try to remember before we tracked everything with a GPS unit... we find little bits and pieces we each may have skipped for whatever reason.. And many of those tiny skipped sections are many days' hiking from a trailhead! We're back in the situation where we will cover dozens of miles to get 2 new miles in, and such. Hehehe. But, and this is why it works for us, we all enjoy seeing areas we know over and over again.
October 05, 2018 07:59PM
Very nice .I got distracted this year with the Alpine Lakes Wilderness in Washington State. Beautiful, but not appropriate for this forum.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login