Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (86% of Full)

nordvpn

Advanced

Re: Valley Winter Conditions

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Valley Winter Conditions
December 27, 2018 07:28PM
Hi all,
I'll be heading up to Yosemite for some winter camping this weekend. Has anyone been there recently and can comment on the conditons of the walking paths around Upper Pines/Curry Village? I'm curious if the ice has started to stay in the more shaded areas?
I'm going with others who haven't been there in the winter and am wondering if they'd need some traction devices? I've got my yak trax and micro spikes for the trails, but don't have enough to go around.
Worst case, they can buy them there and have them for their next winter visit.

Quick annecdote. I was up there a few winters ago with my wife camping in the snow at Upper Pines. We went for a hike, and I said she should wear her yak trax. She thought she'd be fine without them. About 30 steps later on the road behind the campsites, she promptly slipped on ice and fell. I tried my hardest not to say "I told you so". The only thing she hurt was her pride. And her butt.
January 03, 2019 09:35AM
I'm happy to report that no traction devices were needed. I saw minor isolated ice patches that were easily avoided.
The 'trail' to Sierra Point was had no snow or ice either.
February 19, 2019 11:07AM
Any updates, folks? I'll be up there next weekend.
February 19, 2019 12:15PM
Weekend feb 9-10 had lots of snow. Bad idea not to have at minimum nano-spikes. Used those around village on paved paths, which had icy bits. Microspikes overkill for those areas that weekend.

Microspikes for a lot of other areas, including getting up and down stairs at lodge.

We were in Sequoia this past weekend and got a lot of snow and down to a low elevation! Going again to Yosemite this weekend. Will have nano *and* micro spikes and snowshoes.

Will probably pack microspikes and/or snowshoes for some long time this year! Yay!
avatar Re: Valley Winter Conditions
February 19, 2019 03:49PM
February 20, 2019 10:13PM
What are "nano-spikes"? I've never used a traction device other than my snowshoes, and I'm a little confused by the choices.
February 20, 2019 11:56PM
iivvgg
What are "nano-spikes"? I've never used a traction device other than my snowshoes, and I'm a little confused by the choices.
check online for microspikes or yaktrax
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login