Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (74% of Full)

Advanced

Re: HSCs not opening this year

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

HSCs not opening this year
April 09, 2019 06:58PM
From Yosemite -
We appreciate your patience with delays and changes to park operations due to the heavy snow this winter. We have two updates to share today:

😀 Repairs to Upper Pines Campground facilities are nearing completion, and the campground is set to reopen this Friday, April 12!

😞 Yosemite's High Sierra Camps will not open this year due to above-average snowpack, lack of access to water for bathrooms and kitchens, and other infrastructure challenges. Tuolumne Meadows Lodge and White Wolf will open (it's too early to predict when; dates will depend on when Tioga Road opens). If you had a reservation at one of the High Sierra Camps, you will be contacted directly.
April 09, 2019 08:51PM
I feel really bad for people who had reservations. However, my husband and I had a laugh when I read this. I had talked to a new manager at Badger Pass a few weeks ago and asked if there was any possibility that the ski area would be opened longer this year since there is so much snow and the restriction for the endangered bird no longer was a issue. He said that they already had plans to move staff to HSC, TML and White Wolf so there would be no staff for Badger. My comment to him was with how much snow Yosemite got this year, good luck with having a place for staff to work at. Looks like another example of how unaware Aramark is with how things are in Yosemite.
April 09, 2019 09:45PM
Yah, we talked amongst ourselves a while back about how this would probably be a year when the camps would not open. Not at all a surprise!!! Kinda not surprised to hear your Aramark story either!

Hope all well with you, Parklover!
April 25, 2019 05:47PM
JustKeepWalking
Yah, we talked amongst ourselves a while back about how this would probably be a year when the camps would not open. Not at all a surprise!!! Kinda not surprised to hear your Aramark story either!

Hope all well with you, Parklover!

Hi JKW. Sorry just saw your message today. Nothing Aramark does surprises me now. I just wish they would be replaced. After my last year's Alaskan trip disaster when my son had to go to the hospital in Homer the day before we were supposed to fly in to Brooks Fall in Katmai NP, and we had to cancel, which has bummed me out for all of these months, l had an unexpectant opportunity come up. Someone cancelled for two nights this summer and no one on the lottery wait list wanted those nights so off to Alaska we go. Last year was not my first attempt to get to Katmai so I am hoping that we finally make it this year. Hope all is well with you.
avatar Re: HSCs not opening this year
April 09, 2019 10:10PM
Lat year fire, and this year ice have doomed my HSC plans! Guess I'll have to lug a backpack this year. AT least this year I made a plan Y: Yellowstone.
April 09, 2019 10:13PM
P.S. If White Wolf opens by July 6th, I'll try to come introduce myself!
April 10, 2019 10:50AM
Coolburn

Have stayed there a couple times. Do they still offer the lox for breakfast? Really delicious.
April 10, 2019 03:31PM
Ohnivy-Drak
Coolburn

Have stayed there a couple times. Do they still offer the lox for breakfast? Really delicious.

I don't know, but I'd try it.
April 10, 2019 09:39AM
I remember 2 years ago when the HSCs were not open due to snow. We saw way fewer people on the trails around Vogelsang. It was a stark contrast to the amount of people on the trail last year near the Merced HSC. Also, water was much easier to find late in the season 2 years ago.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login