Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (81% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Recommendations for Fourth of July

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Recommendations for Fourth of July
June 20, 2019 04:40PM
Hey outdoors lovers,

I'm looking for recommendations for a backpacking trip over the Fourth of July week this year. Seems like there's not much that will be snow-free in Yosemite, so may have to go elsewhere. I'm planning on taking the full week off, giving me 9 days for transportation and hiking. I'm in the Bay Area, but willing to drive up to a full day, although I have a bias for closer to home. I'd like to hike 30-35 miles per full day assuming elevation change on par with the JMT, for a total between 200 and 300 miles. Last summer I did the JMT during that week. I'm leaning towards doing something different this year, and it looks like conditions may not be ideal in the High Sierra by early July this year. Does anyone have any suggestions or comments on any of the options I've considered below?

Here are some of the options I've thought about thus far:
- Tahoe Rim Trail to Tahoe-Yosemite Trail (290 miles): I'm currently leaning towards this option, as it meets most of my constraints and will likely be mostly melted out by early July. I'm mostly curious if there are other options that are a bit more scenic and remote.
- JMT/ Big SEKI Loop (220 miles): As I said, I did the JMT last year, and it's currently unclear how conditions will be.
- Sierra High Route / Southern Sierra High Route / King's Canyon High Basin Route / Yosemite High Route: Main concerns are snow (moreso than JMT) and tackling a largely off-trail route solo. These options may be best saved for later this summer. If anyone has completed part or all of any of these routes, in particular the SHR, I'd love to chat.
A couple of hikes in Washington, like the Wonderland Trail, PCT Section J, Alpine Lakes Grand Traverse, or something in North Cascades. I'm not as familiar with the Cascades, so I don't know when they're in hiking season or where the good stuff is.
- Uinta Highline Trail: A bit of a drive for an 80 mile point-to-point / 160 mile yo-yo. Also don't know how conditions will be here in early July. Could conceivably be paired with something else in the desert or the Winds, but that's a bit of a drive.
- Collegiate Peaks Loop: Not sure it's worth the drive given the options I have in the Sierra.
- Bigfoot Trail: I don't know much about this, but the scenery doesn't look that exciting on the whole.
Thanks!
avatar Re: Recommendations for Fourth of July
June 25, 2019 07:15AM
As you know... Coe is a backpackers paradise. smiling smiley

Over 9K is snow. Conditions vary so much. I looked at your JMT from last year.
You had perfect conditions. You should do again in current conditions imo.
It's very different.

Be safe though.

We'll be out there somewhere too.

smiling smiley

Chick-on is looking at you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login