Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Pothole Dome (Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite National Park)

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (88% of Full)

Advanced

Re: campsite recommendation along yosemite creek trail

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

campsite recommendation along yosemite creek trail
July 05, 2019 12:43PM
Hi, I'm planning a family backpack down the Yosemite creek trail from July 16-18th. Plan is hike in day one, go to the falls and perhaps yosemite point and back day two, hike out day 3.

does anyone have recommendations for a nice campsite along the way? sites with high "play in the creek" potential would be best for our kids. I've done this hike once before, but I was 8 years old at the time, so I have no memory of the details of where we camped.

thanks for the help!
July 05, 2019 10:59PM
When I did it many years ago, I found a nice place near the junction with the trail that goes west along the north rim of the valley (towards El Capitan), about two miles from Yosemite Falls. That area might be a bit wet at this time of year because Eagle Creek is probably flowing well still. There are a few nice bluffs along the trail that you can camp at that are not far from the water once you get a few miles south of 120. The main challenge will be getting across Yosemite Creek about a mile south of the campground. There is no bridge there, like there is at the campground, so you have to walk across, and it should be around the waist right now for an average person with a fairly strong current. One time I went cross country for a while to avoid the crossing and found it close to impassable due to the steep slopes about 1/3 mile farther downstream.
July 06, 2019 01:17PM
thanks for the advice regarding the creek ford- that wasn't even on my radar.
avatar Re: campsite recommendation along yosemite creek trail
July 06, 2019 05:30PM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login