Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (62% of Full)

Advanced

Re: TR - 40 mile loop in Yosemite Valley over 4th of July

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

TR - 40 mile loop in Yosemite Valley over 4th of July
July 09, 2019 03:18PM
Some friends and I backpacked a 40 mile loop in Yosemite NP over last weekend. The rough itinerary was as follows:

Day 1 - Mirror Lake TH to Snow Creek Trail to campsite north of Mount Watkins
Day 2 - Campsite to Olmsted Point to Tenaya Lake to Sunrise Lakes
Day 3 - Sunrise Lakes to Clouds Rest to JMT (Sunrise Creek) to High Trail leading towards Merced Lake to campsite on bluff before Echo Valley
Day 4 - Echo Valley to Lost Valley to Little Yosemite Valley to JMT to Mist Trail to Happy Isles to Half Dome Village for pizza/beer

I had previously asked for advice about this trip plan and you all gave some helpful tips. Thank you for the help! Overall we had a great time with few if any issues. Tenaya Creek was only knee deep (using the stepping stones) and was actually reasonably warm. There was still a descent amount of snow between Tenaya Lake and Sunrise, but we were able to navigate this area without even consulting our GPS. Plus the snow was hard enough that we never postholed. Sunrise Lakes was mosquito infested, but we came prepared with DEET and bug nets. Our two other campsites were very nice with not too many bugs.

Here is the full trip report I wrote up with all my pictures: https://backpackers-review.com/trip-reports/yosemite-valley-backpacking/

And here are some highlights:

Snow Creek Trail view

Olmsted Point view

Tenaya Creek crossing

Snow on way to clouds rest

Lookout near sunrise

High Trail view

Lost Valley Sunset

Lost Valley river

Little Yosemite Valley

avatar Re: TR - 40 mile loop in Yosemite Valley over 4th of July
July 09, 2019 08:32PM
Nice.

You may like this one... from early May.

Chick-on is looking at you!
July 10, 2019 10:12AM
chick-on
Nice.

You may like this one... from early May.

WOW, what a difference 1-2 months can make!
July 10, 2019 05:49PM
Is the shot labeled "lookout near Sunrise" (and subsequent under snow from chick-on) taken from 9242 looking west, with Tenaya Cr. in view? Or looking north, with outlet from Sunrise Lk(s)? Or other? All that "delicious" granite... Wow! I need to walk that creek.
avatar Re: TR - 40 mile loop in Yosemite Valley over 4th of July
July 11, 2019 08:12AM
9242 looking N

Yes that is Tenaya Creek / Canyon

You may like the look due West...

Chick-on is looking at you!
The full TR is really detailed, and the photos are amazing. Thanks for taking the time to write it up and post everything.
July 10, 2019 05:57AM
Very nice pics. Thanks for posting
July 21, 2019 09:59PM
Great pictures, thanks for sharing!! Hope you liked that camp spot i suggested overlooking Bunnel!!!
July 22, 2019 10:41AM
The site overlooking Bunnell was great. We had the whole area to ourselves and it felt like our own private section of Yosemite. The water in the two lakes/ponds was a little scummy and not great for rinsing off or taking a dip, but everything else about the site was awesome!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login