Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (57% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Trip Advice, Please

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Trip Advice, Please
July 19, 2019 09:54PM
My child and I are traveling next weekend from the Yosemite Creek trailhead to the Mirror Lake trailhead. I am wondering what the conditions are along the way, especially if I need to do any river crossings.
Thanks!

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipPZk-etwivWYUkzuiC0xWmCBMmOP2rcAuJFRBGU/photo/AF1QipM7X0zbhDXScY4pwJbw4Istr9JfhGUiX57cmq0k

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2019 10:13PM by LJK123.
July 19, 2019 10:08PM
Error

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2019 03:15PM by LJK123.
July 20, 2019 06:58AM
There is one major stream crossing on your route, Snow Creek, and there is a footbridge for that crossing. Have fun!

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
July 23, 2019 07:29AM
Map not visible.

Have to assume YOSEMITE Creek. So hiking down Yosemite Creek and then heading East and down Snow Creek Trail.

Drive down to Yosemite Creek Campground and park and start there.
Unless you are a trail quest and want to ford Yosemite Creek and then walk thru the campground and ask yourself
why you didn't drive down here.

You will have to cross a feeder creek maybe a mile in. It should be fine.
Make it fun. Help each other. Get your feet wet.
It should NOT be dangerous. Don't make it so.

Same with Bluejay another mile downstream.

After than Yosemite Creek has a bridge. Go check the lookout. Spend some time with the huge number
of peeps on top.

Inidan Canyon, Lehemite and Royal Arch should be non issue..

You would be making a mistake imo if you don't go check out North Dome.

Don't know your route w exactitood… so...

No other creeks really after that unless you are looking for them.

Have fun

Chick-on is looking at you!
July 23, 2019 02:31PM
Thanks. I am taking the Backpackers bus back to Tuolumne Meadows from Yosemite Valley. I am guessing it drops us off near where we parked.
July 23, 2019 02:52PM
LJK123
Thanks. I am taking the Backpackers bus back to Tuolumne Meadows from Yosemite Valley. I am guessing it drops us off near where we parked.

Right. Ooops.

Um. Yosemite Creek is not Tuolumne Meadows.
But the bus would drop you off at Ten Lakes/Yosemite Creek trailhead.
I guess you may want to park your car there instead.

You'll have to ford Yosemite Creek about a mile in.

Or you could get dropped off at Yosemite Creek Campground Road and hike the 5 miles down the road.
Or …

I would recommend starting at the:
Lukens Lakes/Yosemite Creek trailhead. That way you don't have to cross Yosemite Creek. And you can
get dropped off by the bus at that trailhead on your way back to your car.

Since you are driving to start... you may want to look at Yosemite Creek where it crosses the road
and decide if you want to ford it. It shouldn't be tooooo bad now but... your decision.

You could hike the portion at the end of your trek. But I would lean towards not.

Still dunno what your exact route is... but that's my 5 dollars worth.

July 23, 2019 03:14PM
On my original post there is a link to the map. Not sure why it might not be working.

Ignore the map reference in my second post, I couldn't figure out how to delete that post.

It looks like I am starting at the Ten Lakes trailhead area. I will check out North Dome, thanks.
July 23, 2019 04:24PM
Google doesn't allow links like that. They don't remain static.
So the general user not logged into your google account can't see your picture.

No worry. My assumption was what I said and correct.
Everything I said after that I still stand by.

Look into starting at Lukens/Yosemite Creek trailhead … or look at how the ford may be from
looking at the creek from the bridge or from the Yose Creek picnic area.
(a bit after the bridge heading east)

Parking at Yose Creek campground probably not best since the bus won't drop
you off there. They would drop you back off at Lukens/Yosemite Creek or
Ten Lakes/Yosemite Creek. You can hike either one of those trails on your permit.

June 30, 2020 06:36AM
Hi going to enter Yosemite Creek trailhead next week. did the online ranger briefing yesterday and asked if ok to park at Yosemite Creek Campground and start there but she mentioned you could but road is closed. Just wanted to pass on to verify if sounds accurate to the super knowledgeable folks here and and as an FYI from what I heard yesterday. Nice to be back in Yosemite! - Ted
June 30, 2020 09:06AM
You can park just off the Tioga Road along the Yosemite Creek Campground road, before the closed gate--but the gate is closed so you can't park any closer to the campground. There's usually ample parking there, although I suspect some of it may be used by people trying to find parking to hike to Pate Valley since White Wolf is closed. (Also, if you start there, you probably should have a Lukens to Yosemite Creek permit since that's the closest trailhead, but if you walk the road you technically would be entering the wilderness at the campground, so you'd probably be fine.)

OTOH, if your permit is for Yosemite Creek, I'm not sure why you wouldn't just park at the Yosemite Creek/Ten Lakes parking lot. The walk down the creek will be nicer than walking the road to the closed campground, and I don't think crossing Yosemite Creek will be an issue now.
July 07, 2020 12:28PM
Thanks Basilbop for the advice! wondered how the crossing would be so will start at the trailhead! excited to get out there again!

Ted
July 08, 2021 12:49PM
Hi! Could you help me with an opinion?
I want to travel with my family and we can't decide where we should go. We are from Europe and we came to visit some friends in New York. And we can't decide what to do, to travel through America or England? Where are the most beautiful places to visit? Mom and sister want to travel around America because they want to visit different popular tourist spots, such as Grand Canyon, Yosemite National Park, etc. But my father and I want to go to England because we want to visit The British Museum, the Tower of London, and most importantly, we want to go to https://www.greatbritishcarjourney.com/. We read something about it on the internet, and if we are still passionate about cars, we can not miss the opportunity to visit this place. And that's why we don't know what to do.
Thanks in advance!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2021 02:52PM by Kimberlibre.
June 19, 2023 06:36AM
Pack essential gear, including proper footwear and water shoes for river crossings if needed.
June 19, 2023 07:24AM
Check with the Yosemite National Park website or contact the park rangers to get the latest conditions. They'll have the most up-to-date information on trail conditions and necessary river crossings. It's always important to prioritize safety, especially when hiking with kids. And hey, if you ever find yourself in Chicago, don't forget to check out the amazing Chicago boat tours. They're a great way to unwind and enjoy the city's beautiful skyline.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2023 02:29AM by VaeVictis.
July 06, 2020 08:01AM
This will be my first time hiking down Yosemite Creek this weekend. I have gone up to Eagle Peak area before from valley floor but am going to try it from the Yosemite Creek trailhead. Since follows the river wanted to get a read on how bad the evil critters are - hopefully nowhere close to the mosquitoes along Snow Creek trail? Thanks for any advice!

Ted
July 06, 2020 01:52PM
Mosquitos at Glen Aulin last weekend weren't too bad, maybe because I was expecting it to be worse. The only time we felt their presence was around dusk, just before and after the sunset.
Didn't see any at the tenaya lake either though it was a different story at Tenaya on June 19th. Have fun!
July 06, 2020 08:43PM
Tenaya on July 5th. Had it pretty much all to ourselves. Nice swim after getting out of the wild.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2020 01:41PM by KevinD.
July 23, 2019 06:15PM
Thanks, really appreciate the guidance!!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login