Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tenaya Lake, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (75% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Camping near Mono Pass?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Camping near Mono Pass?
February 16, 2020 05:27PM
Hi folks, I’m new to this forum. Hitting Yosemite for the first time ever with my wife and two 7 year olds in July. We got wilderness permit to camp near Mono Pass for one night. Anyone have any advice on the camping in the area? Will we be alone out there overnight mid week? I’ll keep a check on this thread and drop more questions if this becomes active. Thanks.
February 17, 2020 05:25AM
As I recall, it's an easy hike from 120 to Mono pass, mostly flat with a few small stream crossings. You should be able to find many suitable camping spots and your kids will love it. By the way, it's always nice to see a fellow South Cackalacky-ian here on this forum smiling smiley. I live in the upstate.
Edit: I'm pretty sure you have to camp outside the park if you go to Mono Pass. Check this map:
https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/upload/wildernesstrailheads.pdf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2020 05:37AM by The Other Tom.
August 18, 2020 08:11PM
thanks for sharing,very usefull for me
February 17, 2020 09:48AM
Yes, you must cross the park boundary to camp in that area. Make sure you are ready for the altitude. I suppose you have plenty of experience if you signed up for this adventure?
avatar Re: Camping near Mono Pass?
February 17, 2020 01:18PM
iivvgg
I suppose you have plenty of experience if you signed up for this adventure?

Mmmm, just noting the OP's profile indicates "Hiking Ability: None."

- Billy Joel
February 17, 2020 09:59AM
I don't know much about Mono Pass and if it's mid-week, you might be able to score a walk-in permit for other trips within the park.

Cathedral lakes is one of the options and others can probably chime in with more inputs.
February 17, 2020 01:21PM
Lower Sardine Lake is lovely, and would make a nice campsite. Upper Sardine is closer to your trailhead, and also has sites, although they are less sheltered. Nice area--you can also reach it via Walker Lake on the East side. .

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
February 17, 2020 04:36PM
Thanks for all of the input everyone! The Other Tom, we’re neighbors, I live in the upstate as well! I’ve updated my profile, yes I’m ready. Been practicing all of my life in the North Carolina hills. Yes, I know it’s a whole different world than Yosemite, but we’re ready.
We applied for overnight permits for Cathedral Lakes and Sunrise Lakes trailheads but were denied. So we planned for Mono Pass. I just can’t find any info online about overnighting there. Now I see that The Porcupine Creek Trail and Murphy Creek are still available for our one night in the backcountry. What would be your move for 1st timers? Thanks folks!
February 18, 2020 04:56AM
South Cackalacky
Thanks for all of the input everyone! The Other Tom, we’re neighbors, I live in the upstate as well! I’ve updated my profile, yes I’m ready. Been practicing all of my life in the North Carolina hills. Yes, I know it’s a whole different world than Yosemite, but we’re ready.
We applied for overnight permits for Cathedral Lakes and Sunrise Lakes trailheads but were denied. So we planned for Mono Pass. I just can’t find any info online about overnighting there. Now I see that The Porcupine Creek Trail and Murphy Creek are still available for our one night in the backcountry. What would be your move for 1st timers? Thanks folks!
I sent you a private message through this forum
February 18, 2020 09:06AM
EDIT: I want you to have a good trip and enjoy this beautiful area. But I want you to understand the risks and do it safely.

You may be ready yourself, but you need to make sure your family is ready. First, they need to have the endurance to hike the four miles to the pass, or however far it is. (With the elevation, it will feel like six or seven miles.) You can check this by taking them to NC for a practice trip.

Second, you need to know how to avoid and treat altitude sickness. Ideally, you should have experienced it yourself before this trip. If you haven't, you're taking a risk. I've gotten altitude sickness as low as 8000 or 9000 feet, which is lower than your trailhead. There is no foolproof solution or preventative measure (for instance, Diamox has side effects that themselves resemble altitude sickness). So you should expect that someone will get it. Maybe you. Maybe the kids. Maybe everyone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2020 09:38AM by iivvgg.
August 20, 2020 05:06PM
You should view on Google Earth while also seeing where such is on the 7.5m topo, the zone between Mono Pass, 10604, where the park and thus camping border is and Upper Sardine Lake at 10380+. That zone is open timberline of sparse wind stunted whitebark pines. Your main issue for a camping spot will be finding adequate tent shade during the day, so will want to select a tent site with those pines others have previously built. Shallow Summit Lake has some sites but no views and IMO is boring. Better is to descend to the meadows just below the trail at 10400+ northwest of Upper Sardine Lake where there are sites in the trees. During thunderstorm weather this whole zone is rather exposed though this meadow area is safest.

This has been a rather dry late summer and many small streams have dried up so will probably be filtering lake water. The best views if our current horrible fires and smoke ever subside, are at the outlet of the the lake towards Mono Lake far below, though the stream may be dry. The lower lake is a significant 500 vertical feet lower.

http://www.davidsenesac.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2020 05:08PM by DavidSenesac.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login