Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (74% of Full)

Advanced

Inyo NF permit news

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Inyo NF permit news
May 23, 2020 10:58AM
From their Facebook page:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inyo National Forest Provides Wilderness Permits Virtually, Effective June 1, except Mt. Whitney

Starting on June 1, the Inyo National Forest will be providing wilderness permits through a virtual process.
People who have reserved permits can call up to 14 days in advance to have their permit emailed or printed and left in a drop box at the selected visitor center.

The remaining “walk up” permits will be reserved through www.recreation.gov starting up to 14 days in advance of the date of a wilderness trip.
The Eastern Sierra Interpretive Association staff will sell maps, rent bear canisters, and other products under a modified operation. Visitors are highly encouraged to purchase products online in advance of their visit at https://sierraforever.org/.

Visitors who reserve a permit will need to check by phone to receive their permit and the wilderness orientation, which will include:

Food storage/ bear can use

Campfire restrictions

Human waste disposal

Campsite selection

Pack it in, pack it out/ Leave No Trace

Specific guidance if their itinerary enters Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks or Yosemite National Park.

The exception to this is Mt. Whitney day and overnight permits, which are being cancelled one week in advance of the hiking start day. Please see Inyo County guidance. Mt. Whitney is a high use trail and where rescues and recoveries are common. Whitney Portal Road remains closed at the lower gate.

People who have been awarded a permit reservation for Mt. Whitney on the Inyo National Forest will receive a notice from recreation.gov that notifies them that their reservation has been cancelled and a refund have been issued. There is no action required from you at this time. The credit card used to make the original reservation will be refunded.
Re: Inyo NF permit news
July 06, 2020 11:34AM
I posted this question in the Whitney zone forums, figured I put it here too... Does anyone know how often the inventory for walk up reservations for Inyo wilderness permits are being updated? I've been monitoring the Cottonwood Lakes permits and haven't seen any allocation for the walk-ups come thru.

I tried calling Inyo Wilderness Permits (760) 873-2483, but I hit 0 and then it disconnects.
July 06, 2020 10:57PM
Check the Inyo Nat'l Forest Website. It states:

For the 2020 season while our visitor centers are not open to foot traffic all wilderness permits are by web reservation with check in by phone and permit delivered by email.

40% of quota traditionally set aside for walk up permits is being added to the reservation website every Monday afternoon for the following Monday through Sunday.

If quota space is available, reservations can be made until one day before the trip.
Canceled space is returned to the reservation calendar at a random time within 24 hours.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login