Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (78% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Itinerary review? North and South Loops, 160ish miles

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Itinerary review? North and South Loops, 160ish miles
July 10, 2020 07:20AM
Hi all, I'm a long-time lurker here. Getting ready to leave in a week for a long-planned set of loops into the north and south of Yosemite. I'll be solo. I'm familiar with backpacking in the Sierra, but this route is all new territory for me, so I'd welcome and appreciate any thoughts you have.

Here's an overview of my route and maps:

North Loop (https://caltopo.com/m/6RP1)
departing July 20
Glen Aulin TH --> Cold Canyon --> Matterhorn Canyon --> Peeler Lake --> Kerrick Meadow --> Benson Lk --> Rodgers Lk --> Pate Valley --> GCTR -- Glen Aulin

South Loop (https://caltopo.com/m/JCEG)
departing July 29
Mono Meadows --> Ottoway Lks --> Red Peak Pass --> Red Devil Lk --> High Trail --> Lyell Fork (xc) --> Lewis Canyon --> Merced River --> Little YOSE Valley -- Mono Meadows

Questions:
Since I'll be carrying 8 days of food I'm not sure now far I want to push on day 1. Any advice on camping in Cold Canyon if I don't push through to McCabe Creek?
Can I expect to find water at the south end of Rodgers Meadow in late July?
Any other general opinions for me?

Thanks for any and all comments!
July 10, 2020 08:09AM
Because it's also the PCT, there are many decent / impacted campsites between Glen Aulin and McCabe/Return Creek. You should be able to get water from Cold Creek, except perhaps in the meadow.

I don't think you should have any problems getting water along Rogers Creek/Meadow in late July--but you may need to find a place where the creek isn't completely absorbed by sand in the meadow, such as at the end of the meadow and flows/falls over granite.

And, don't forget to visit Forum-approved Loche Tablae (Table Lake)!
July 13, 2020 12:47PM
Good to know, thanks, Basil!
July 22, 2020 10:47AM
Looks like big fun. Of course, since you are solo, leave someone your itinerary who will notice if you don't check in.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login