Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (78% of Full)

Advanced

Re: White Wolf to Aspen, Pate, Smith Advice Please

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

White Wolf to Aspen, Pate, Smith Advice Please
July 31, 2020 07:07AM
Can anyone tell me about the hike out of White Wolf to any of these 3 areas? We are thinking about going at the end of August.

Thank you,

LJK
July 31, 2020 07:45AM
White Wolf is closed, at the gate on the Tioga Road. August will be very hot in Pate....

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
August 06, 2020 10:52PM
The trail from White Wolf to Smith Meadow is very overgrown, to the point that it doesn't really exist at times. Unless you want to do a lot of bushwhacking, I would advice against it.

White Wolf to Aspen Valley is the old Great Sierra Wagon Road. Not well traveled. Mostly forested and follows the Middle Fork of the Tuolumne for much of it. Not sure if you are planning an out and back or a loop, but the trail over Bald Mtn is not much better than the trail to Smith Meadow.

That leaves the trail to Pate Valley. Some great views and access to the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne, but 4,000 t elevation loss.
August 25, 2020 04:53PM
I was there about four weeks ago. As said the access road is closed. The downhill hike from 120 to Pate is long. Allow about 8.5 hours. I actualy think I could have gone faster doing it it the uphill direction as it gets steep. In either direction take a minimu of 2 liters of water, three if you can at there is water only at the 1/2 way point that might be dry now.

Some day however I'm going to hike down there and just hang out for a few days. It can be hot but there are endless good swimming holes.

I did not want to walk on the old road so I took the route that could head up to 10 Lakes. While it was nice to avoid a road, at points I had to look for the trail and there is a burnded out area with black trees. But I like to look at how forests recover from fire
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login