Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (97% of Full)

Advanced

RPP Conditions/Snowpack Early August?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

RPP Conditions/Snowpack Early August?
February 23, 2022 07:56AM
looking at rec.gov, HI-->Illilouette seems to be a high-capacity, low-demand permit which doesn't seem go through areas where it is hard to travel through (e.g. Rim burn-area or Buena Vista Range). Looking at the trailhead, a loop of Ililouette Creek, Red Peak Pass, and Triple Fork Merced seems interesting, though maybe not feasible.

1. RPP is a high place. When usually is there no snow covering the trail. Was thinking of reserving in early Aug but might go later if there's snow.
2. Trail conditions are how? Is there generally route-finding required or is the tread evident? Only experience hiking is in state/regional-parks where trails are well-defined
3. What are the main errors with the USGS Topo at this part which would need to note if want to go here?
4. I'm not familiar with dispersed camping. I'm aware we're supposed to do it on hard rock (or the impossible-to-find compacted soil) at least 100 feet from the trail, and that flat rocks seem more likely in generally flat areas, so am planning to camp somewhere in ilillouette basin, near Lower Ottaway Lake, and near the Triple Fork of the Merced. But just looking at satellite view doesn't give me much info about the structure of specific rocks, especially when there's lots of individual rocks instead of big slabs, so how to state the first-night camping location when hard to find info until after go on trail? Looking at photos, the rocks at triple-fork seem like small, steep domes. Are there any in that area that are good for camping?
5. Is my first time hiking at altitude. How to train for it?
Re: RPP Conditions/Snowpack Early August?
February 23, 2022 05:35PM
1. RPP is a high place. When usually is there no snow covering the trail. Was thinking of reserving in early Aug but might go later if there's snow.

Too soon to tell right now, but unless we get a lot more snow, you should be fine in August.

2. Trail conditions are how? Is there generally route-finding required or is the tread evident? Only experience hiking is in state/regional-parks where trails are well-defined

These well-used and clearly marked trails.

3. What are the main errors with the USGS Topo at this part which would need to note if want to go here?

I don't think there are many of these.

4. I'm not familiar with dispersed camping. I'm aware we're supposed to do it on hard rock (or the impossible-to-find compacted soil) at least 100 feet from the trail, and that flat rocks seem more likely in generally flat areas, so am planning to camp somewhere in ilillouette basin, near Lower Ottaway Lake, and near the Triple Fork of the Merced. But just looking at satellite view doesn't give me much info about the structure of specific rocks, especially when there's lots of individual rocks instead of big slabs, so how to state the first-night camping location when hard to find info until after go on trail? Looking at photos, the rocks at triple-fork seem like small, steep domes. Are there any in that area that are good for camping?

There are plenty of established campsites along this route. You will see them from the trail. Lower Ottaway Lake had many campsite, and all along Illiloutte Creek and the Upper Merced you will find flat places with no vegetation, not too far from water, and already showing previous use as a campsite.

5. Is my first time hiking at altitude. How to train for it?

That's a more difficult question. If you can spend time at altitude, then great. If not, and you are coming from sea level, I'd recommend spending a few days getting used to the think air before you dive into this. But you start at Happy Isles at 4,000 feet, and take all day to hike up to about 7,500.. That's still not high enough to have much impact on you, other than getting you to breath harder. And it will be another day at the elevation before you get to 10,000 feet. You should be fine. And if you are not, just head back down to lower elevation. No shame in being safe.

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
February 24, 2022 07:54AM
Thank you very much for the answers they are very helpful

balzaccom
all along Illiloutte Creek and the Upper Merced you will find flat places with no vegetation, not too far from water, and already showing previous use as a campsite.
How would we find those areas if they are also some distance away from the trail?
February 24, 2022 09:40AM
ksllxmfcai

balzaccom
all along Illiloutte Creek and the Upper Merced you will find flat places with no vegetation, not too far from water, and already showing previous use as a campsite.
How would we find those areas if they are also some distance away from the trail?

There will be many sites visible from the trail along this route/loop, especially near lakes, trail junctions, and creek crossings, but otherwise you need to plan some time to search out a suitable campsite (and as the rangers say, good campsites are found, not made...)

A lot of this is an experience thing--learning what to look for in the terrain that will likely be a good campsite, even if you can't see it. Even us "experienced" hikers make mistakes here: what looked like a nice open granite dome with views on the topo was a brush-choked talus pile (been there, done that, many times...). As recently as last year, we decided to push past a "known" campsite because a trail crew was there... we were lucky to find a very tight spot barely big enough for our tent a few long miles up the trail, just as the sun was setting--and there really weren't any great campsites for a few miles past this.
avatar Re: RPP Conditions/Snowpack Early August?
February 24, 2022 11:07AM
You can begin to develop this sense of the terrain over just a few days on the trail. On my most recent trip in the first day or two I couldn't necessarily "read" the terrain, but after just a few days I found myself understanding where the trail would be because the lay of the land made it obvious to my mind. I found an amazing campsite on one of my last nights from a quick glance up from a couple hundred yards across a canyon and it just jumped out at me, I doubt I would have seen that if it had been the first day or two of the trip.

Don't know if you've seen it, I posted a detailed trip report on the RPP loop, found here: https://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?17,85687.

- Billy Joel
February 24, 2022 11:47AM
JRinGeorgia
You can begin to develop this sense of the terrain over just a few days on the trail. On my most recent trip in the first day or two I couldn't necessarily "read" the terrain, but after just a few days I found myself understanding where the trail would be because the lay of the land made it obvious to my mind. I found an amazing campsite on one of my last nights from a quick glance up from a couple hundred yards across a canyon and it just jumped out at me, I doubt I would have seen that if it had been the first day or two of the trip.

Don't know if you've seen it, I posted a detailed trip report on the RPP loop, found here: https://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?17,85687.
I saw the trip report, but images didn't load. but still is good reminder that should keep eye out for AMS symptoms.
avatar Re: RPP Conditions/Snowpack Early August?
February 25, 2022 10:26AM
ksllxmfcai
JRinGeorgia

I saw the trip report, but images didn't load.
Hmmm, I see the images -- anyone else have issues seeing them?

- Billy Joel
February 25, 2022 10:30AM
The images are not showing for me, either.
February 24, 2022 11:45AM
basilbop
ksllxmfcai

balzaccom

There will be many sites visible from the trail along this route/loop, especially near lakes, trail junctions, and creek crossings, but otherwise you need to plan some time to search out a suitable campsite (and as the rangers say, good campsites are found, not made...)

A lot of this is an experience thing--learning what to look for in the terrain that will likely be a good campsite, even if you can't see it. Even us "experienced" hikers make mistakes here: what looked like a nice open granite dome with views on the topo was a brush-choked talus pile (been there, done that, many times...). As recently as last year, we decided to push past a "known" campsite because a trail crew was there... we were lucky to find a very tight spot barely big enough for our tent a few long miles up the trail, just as the sun was setting--and there really weren't any great campsites for a few miles past this.
I'm a newbie to this whole dispersed camping thing. I'm from the greater Bay Area, so there's vegetation everywhere, so I don't have experience with it. What methods would you recommend to beginners?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login