Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (87% of Full)

Advanced

Re: CATHEDRAL LAKES -> CLOUDS REST -> HALF DOME

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

CATHEDRAL LAKES -> CLOUDS REST -> HALF DOME
June 29, 2022 11:10AM
I am changing mi itinerary. i would attempt a Walking permit one week before from cathedral lakes to go to clouds rest which is my principal desire.
So the route would be the classical Cathedral lakes, clouds rest, half dome.
i have some questions.

1 suggestions on where to end after half dome
2. water point on the trail
3. how many days i should calculate for this. my sweet spot would be spending 3 or max 4 nights on trail.
4. nice camp spots for sunrise, sunset,
5. somewhere where i could trail safetly at night from my camp to watch some stars?

Ive been backpacking 2 times only here on the patagonia. so any advice would be appreciated.

thank you, David.
You didn't say when you plan to leave. And again, this route has been discussed in this forum many times before, the information is there if you look around.

You can do it in one night if you're a good hiker, 3 is plenty, 4 will let you explore other areas.

As you have to camp off the trail, you should be able to see stars no matter where you are, unless you're in a heavily forested area.

Look on Caltopo for possible routes and water (https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=37.87958,-119.41117&z=15&b=mbt). Won't be so much water between the Sunrise Lakes area and the Little Yosemite Valley campground.
June 30, 2022 06:56AM
Thank you, I am planning to do it on the 2nd week of august.

any suggestions for other zones to explore to make it like a 3-4 day backpacking trip?
[email protected]
Thank you, I am planning to do it on the 2nd week of august.

any suggestions for other zones to explore to make it like a 3-4 day backpacking trip?

Look at the map, and keep in mind that you're going late in the summer in what was a relatively dry year, so you can probably count on water in the lakes but probably not in the streams/creeks, except for the Merced and Tuolulmne Rivers.

If you're comfortable going off-trail alone, there are several possibilities for routes; if you prefer staying to trails when hiking alone, there are also a number of possibilities.

Since you're trying to get the permit a week ahead of time, plan several alternatives, in case you don't get the trailhead you want.

How were you planning to get to the trailhead?
June 30, 2022 03:51PM
Yes i would plan something just in case i don't get the permit.
I was planning to leave my car in any parking and then at the end of the trail take the shuttle to my car.
That would be okay? or i should plan another way?
my idea was to camp one day before the trail, if that is permitted with the wilderness permit.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login