Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (88% of Full)

Advanced

Hikers who cairn too much

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Hikers who cairn too much
September 18, 2022 08:26PM
I got a lot of feedback from a recent blog post on my website about trailwork to Lake Margaret. Lots of people wondering why we are taking down cairns. It's pretty simple: they're unnecessary. And part of Leave No Trace is to ...you know...Leave No Trace. I knocked down more than 130 cairns in 4 miles on this trail. I left three.

So here's my summary of cairn policy.

Should you ever put up a cairn? Before you do, ask yourself this question: Am I lost? If you are lost, don't put up a cairn. It will just confuse anyone who follows you. If you are not lost, then you don't need to put up a cairn. You found your way just fine. Please allow other hikers to do the same.

If you can see where the trail goes, don't put up a cairn.

If you can see the trail behind you, don't put up a cairn.

If you can see a log cut for the trail, don't put up a cairn.

If you can see a blaze on a tree, don't put up a cairn.

If you can see a strip of plastic ribbon, don't put up a cairn.

If you can see footprints in the dirt or sand, don't put up a cairn.

If you can see a path through the grass, don't put up a cairn.

If you can see branches outlining the trail, Don't put up a cairn.

If you can a cairn ahead or behind you, don't put up a cairn.

If it's obvious where the trail goes, don't put up a cairn.

If you are moved to create artwork with natural materials, do it in your garden at home. Don't put up a cairn.

And if you do put up a cairn to help you find you way back....take it down on your way back.

When in doubt, don't put up a cairn.

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
Re: Hikers who cairn too much
September 18, 2022 11:44PM
I like it.

Changing topics slightly (but only slightly), I saw a photo someone posted (elsewhere) of mushrooms and berries the person had picked somewhere in the Sierra Nevada mountains. I have not checked the regs on this, but it seems to me that if that stuff was in a Wilderness Area, then doing so was illegal. And regardless, doing so would violate the idea of LNT (as in, "leave what you find", as stated as one of the LNT principles on the NPS web site). Am I correct about this being illegal in wilderness areas, and about violating LNT regardless?
September 19, 2022 06:08AM
To follow up on "The Geezer's" post, I always leave berries, etc alone. That's food for wild animals, like bears. I'd rather a bear eat the wild food instead of human food, or worse, me 😀
April 17, 2023 07:47PM
Hand picking berries for non-commercial purposes is permitted in almost every National Park - as is fishing. However, the harvesting of rare, threatened or endangered plants is illegal.
September 19, 2022 06:53AM
Collecting mushrooms is legal in the national forest. Same with berries. And with a permit, firewood. It is legal to hunt in wilderness areas. National forests are run to a different metric than national parks, where collecting anything at all is forbidden.

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
avatar Re: Hikers who cairn too much
April 09, 2023 11:33AM
balzaccom,
Thanks for the post regarding cairns. It needed to be said.
April 10, 2023 09:07AM
When I have been unable to see where the trail goes, especially on granite fields, I have found cairns very helpful.
May 30, 2023 10:40AM
LRK
When I have been unable to see where the trail goes, especially on granite fields, I have found cairns very helpful.
I think the idea is that there should already be more than enough cairns placed by trail maintenance crews.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login