Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (99% of Full)

Advanced

Trip Report: Vogelsang Backpack

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Trip Report: Vogelsang Backpack
October 02, 2022 09:23PM
Went with my son's scout troop last weekend on a three-day, two-night trek up Lyell Canyon and then to Vogelsang before returning to Tuolumne Meadows. They'd had some snow and cold temperatures earlier in the week, but things were back to seasonal by the time we got there.

Saturday we drove up to Tuolumne Meadows from the Bay Area and hiked 6 miles up Lyell Canyon. About a quarter mile beyond where the Ireland Lake trail broke off, we found an impacted campsite with fire ring so the scouts could have a campfire on the first night. Overnight it got down to 30 degrees! In the morning there was ice on the edge of the river and frost on the meadows... and the bear cans.

View upriver from the bridge over the Lyell Fork of the Tuolumne River.

Pacific Tree Frog along the trail in Lyell Canyon.

Ice on a trailside puddle. Must have been a remnant of the cooler temps and snow earlier in the week.

Hiking up Lyell Canyon.

Lyell Fork of the Tuolumne.

Approaching Potter Point and the end of our first day of hiking. Donohue Peak dusted with snow is off in the distance.

Frost on the meadow the next morning.

Sunday started with about 1600' of climbing up the Ireland Lake trail. The scouts were not too pleased, but the views from the saddle we crossed (~10.600') were pretty amazing. As we continued on to Vogelsang we had a little rain and hail in the last mile, but the scouts held up admirably. We were all tired and, without a campfire, we crawled in to our tents shortly after dark. Fortunately, the temperatures were quite moderate this night... the overnight low was only about 40.

Taking a break beside Ireland Creek as we hike up out of Lyell Canyon.

Looking across at Kuna Peak.

Eastward pano of Kuna Crest from the saddle between Evelyn and Ireland Lakes.

Looking to the south-southeast with Mt. Lyell and Mt. Maclure visible over the ridge.

View to the west. Rodgers and Johnson Peaks. Between them is Peak 11105, beyond which are seen the Cockscomb and Echo Peaks (I think).

Storm light on Vogelsang Peak as the rain clears up shortly after we set up camp at Vogelsang backpackers camp.

Fletcher Peak basking in some late afternoon sun.

Alpenglow on Fletcher Peak.

Sunset off the shoulder of Vogelsang Peak.

Monday was the longest but easiest day, 7.5 mostly downhill miles. Cardiovascular system happy! Knees... not so much. The scouts were on a tear with the promise of pizza on the way home spurring them on.

Early morning sun on Vogelsang.

Morning view to the west from the entrance to Vogelsang backpackers camp.

Hiking back down to Tuolumne Meadows along Rafferty Creek.

Dana Fork! Almost done.

Overall an enjoyable and memorable trek, and the scouts want to come back! We'll definitely try our luck in the permit lottery for some more Yosemite high country treks next year.
Re: Trip Report: Vogelsang Backpack
October 04, 2022 05:22PM
Nice job. You get extra points (Brownie points?) for taking scouts on a trip like this. It's something they'll talk about for weeks, and remember for years.

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
October 05, 2022 05:21AM
My son and I did that trip in reverse a few years ago. We had a great time, and it was a good bonding experience. Thanks for the trip report, it really brought back some good memories.
October 08, 2022 04:53PM
In Steve Fossett's obituary in Wikipedia, it mentions that scouting played a big part for his success later in life.

Scouting
Fossett grew up in Garden Grove, California and earned the Eagle Scout award in 1957. He credited his experience in Scouting as a foundation for much of his later success. "As a Scout, I learned how to set goals and achieve them," he once said. "Being a Scout also taught me leadership at a young age when there are few opportunities to be a leader. Scouting values have remained with me throughout my life, in my business career, and now as I take on new challenges."[9] In his later years, he was described as a "legend" by fellow Scouts. As a national BSA volunteer, he served as Chairman of the Northern Tier High Adventure Committee, Chairman of the Venturing Committee, member of the Philmont Ranch Committee, and member of the National Advisory Council. He later became a member of the BSA National Executive Board, and in 2007, Fossett succeeded Secretary of Defense Robert Gates as president of the National Eagle Scout Association. Fossett previously had served on the World Scout Committee.[5]
Fossett was honored with the Distinguished Eagle Scout Award in 1992. In 1999, he received the Silver Buffalo Award, BSA's highest recognition of service to youth.[8]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Fossett

Photos of search and crash site:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rockwellb/albums/72157607737959209/with/2917886527/

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2023 08:10PM by KenS.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login