Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (77% of Full)

Advanced

Tuolumne Meadows photos

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

July 31, 2009 09:17PM
all the years and times i've been to Yosemite, i've never been to Tuolumne Meadows! so yesterday i took my grown son with me and spent a few hours there ... really cool place!

not a fan of the mosquitoes though. lol

http://yosemiteforrest.blogspot.com/
avatar Re: Tuolumne Meadows photos
August 01, 2009 06:15AM
Forrest,
Looks like it was a beautiful classic summer day in the park. Did you have a chance to explore any of the areas around Toulumne Meadows? Did you drive over to Mono Lake or the east side?

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
August 01, 2009 11:07AM
no, we didn't have enough time, all we had was about 1 hour of daylight left (we were in the Valley eariler in the day)... i'd love to go back and spend all day next time... what are some areas that i need to do?
August 01, 2009 12:14PM
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/upload/tmhikes08.pdf

Tough question in its simplicity. Depends on what you want to do. I find it pleasant to walk north or south along the Tuolumne River. Good simple day hikes include Pothole Dome, May Lake, the trail to Cathedral Lakes to the amazing spring (the Lakes are a good day in and out similar to the hike to top of Nevada Falls) or hikes of various distances to the Glen Aulin area. Consider Lembert Dome, Dog Lake or a loop around them (I haven't been in years). The trail to Soda Springs is flat and pleasant and I personally enjoy the geologic and historic significance (although some might just consider it a mud puddle). There is a stone hut (Parsons Lodge) nearby the Soda Springs that is sometimes staffed and is a good place to stop in if open for exhibits or presentations. Best to drop by the Visitor Center and get oriented (see pdf above)

ps: could spend a day around Tenaya Lake.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
August 01, 2009 01:53PM
Or,---------you could rip off something like the 11.6 mile round trip to Glen Aulin on a day trip if the family had it in them. It's quite a haul but definitely worth it if the family is up to it and has the time. You won't do anything else that day. Requires an early start plus plenty of water and snacks. Oh yeah, you may also have to cross a long tree log to get across Delaney Creek. Had to 3 weeks ago; don't know about now.

Jim
August 01, 2009 04:16PM
It is all about the journey not the destination. I am repeatedly stunned by the little things on or off the trail. Crows with snakes in their mouths, Monach butterflies, animal scat, flowers, strange bugs, small scale photo ops of sections of a stream or river. If you have the time, just turn over a rock in the river and look for hellgramites (stonefly larvae). Lots of times we blast through to the campground, summit, or other destination. One day, I just took a flower ID book and tried to identify all the flowers I encountered along a section of trail in the Yellowstone area. Would be a good project in Yosemite also.

-- Carl Sagan
August 01, 2009 05:40PM
that's what i've never understood about a lot of hikers, they are more interested in getting the hike over as fast as possible, instead of completely enjoying nature that is all around them, all they think about is the finish line.
August 01, 2009 05:56PM
forrestranger
that's what i've never understood about a lot of hikers, they are more interested in getting the hike over as fast as possible, instead of completely enjoying nature that is all around them, all they think about is the finish line.

Trail runners are even worse.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login