Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (92% of Full)

Advanced

Cathedral Lakes Camping

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Cathedral Lakes Camping
October 15, 2009 11:26AM
Is overnight camping allowed at the Cathedral Lakes? Have read it is at the Upper Lake but not the Lower. Will be trekking through the area in July 2010. Thanks, Mark
avatar Re: Cathedral Lakes Camping
October 15, 2009 11:27AM
mschaefer
Is overnight camping allowed at the Cathedral Lakes? Have read it is at the Upper Lake but not the Lower. Will be trekking through the area in July 2010. Thanks, Mark

You need to be away from the water and at least 4 trail miles from the trailhead.
October 15, 2009 12:10PM
eeek
mschaefer

You need to be away from the water and at least 4 trail miles from the trailhead.

Neither of the lakes is 4 trail miles from the trailhead.

However, the National Geographic Trails Illustrated map of the area (2006 printing, which I think is the current version) shows both lakes to be excluded from the "no overnight camping" zone. Since, I believe, that the rangers use this map as their reference, you should be able to camp at either lake.
October 15, 2009 12:50PM
I think the lower lake is off limits due to the fragility of the environs. Bill-e-g knows for sure I believe.

Old Dude
October 15, 2009 07:26PM
Yosemite National Park Complete Hikers Guide
J. Schaffer

<http://books.google.com/books?id=RP1KjfCTIt4C&pg=PA226&dq=hiking+yosemite++tuolumne+meadows+cathedral+schaffer&ei=8dfXSqyIEIm4kwSxnMGsCA#v=onepage&q=&f=false>;

see page 228-229 Hike 44 mentions Upper Cathedral Lake is 4 miles from trailhead and camping is "discouraged" (whatever that means)

I seem to recall campers there several years ago when I passed through.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
October 15, 2009 07:37PM
In July there were campers on the north side of the lower lake close to the outlet. This is O.K. except for the fact they were only 50' back from the lake instead the 100' minimum. The rangers do go by the Nat Geo Trails Illustrated Maps which say neither lake is in the no camping zone.

Jim
October 18, 2009 05:50PM
If you're still around the definitive answer is : Yes

You can camp at either lake. The additional rule is that there is no campfires allowed.
Just too much pressure on those lakes.

Leave no trace.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login