Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Vernel Fall, Merced River, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (77% of Full)

Advanced

Yosemite Kicked My Ass

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

February 09, 2010 06:27AM
On his way down, a guy, with the physique of a Marine, stopped and told me “that was the hardest thing I’ve ever done.” An Asian girl, with a well-meaning looking host family, was sobbing into her cell phone as she stumbled down the trail. All of this was demoralizing, you see, because I was still on my way up.

http://blogs.desmoinesregister.com/dmr/index.php/2010/02/04/yosemite-kicked-my-ass/
avatar Re: Yosemite Kicked My Ass
February 09, 2010 08:46AM
:lol:

Currently trying to get the Goat Whisperer to bite on this trail again this wkend.

Chick-on is looking at you!
February 09, 2010 04:49PM
Cure to Half Dome: Drive to Tuolumne Meadows and put 4,000' behind you before putting your feet on the trails. Oh yeh, take deeper breaths from here on.

Grinning Devil
February 09, 2010 04:56PM
"sobbing into her cell phone"

How different Yosemite Valley would be without cell phone access....
Re: Yosemite Kicked My Ass
February 09, 2010 05:53PM
My wife and I attempted that hike last summer. It was her first real hike in Yosemite. "It's only 3 miles.....". I should have known better than to make that her first hike. It almost ruined the rest of our trip.
Vernal/Nevada falls is a much better hike, IMO.
February 09, 2010 06:38PM
The Four Mile Trail up Glacier Point is pretty mild plus you can time it to ride the shuttle back down. Next time try it assuming you get a second chance.

There are some really nice views along the way.

Old Dude
February 09, 2010 07:20PM
I won't be doing the Yosemite Falls trail again. Been there a few times and love it up there, but time before last it was 90 degrees through the switchbacks near the top (nearly crawled up). Did it last April and coming down was just AWFUL - too slippery and just miserable. Seems the trail needs a lot of work (sandy and slippery). Next time to top of the falls for me will be via Yosemite Creek from Tioga Rd.
February 09, 2010 08:18PM
YAY
I won't be doing the Yosemite Falls trail again. Been there a few times and love it up there, but time before last it was 90 degrees through the switchbacks near the top (nearly crawled up). Did it last April and coming down was just AWFUL - too slippery and just miserable. Seems the trail needs a lot of work (sandy and slippery). Next time to top of the falls for me will be via Yosemite Creek from Tioga Rd.

I did it during February. I had no problems going up, although I wish I'd brought my gaiters (which I used the next day snowshoeing).

It was frankly gorgeous at the top with almost pristine snow (save some foot tracks) although going down I fell down a couple of times and landed on my backside. Some of the spots were somewhat slushy, and the wet/icy granite patches didn't provide a whole lot of traction.
February 10, 2010 08:24AM
Would love to see it up top with all the snow, but don't think so now! I consider that one of the toughest hikes now. Would rather do HD again rather than that one. Well, maybe once is enough for HD, but it was a whole lot easier coming down!
February 10, 2010 09:10AM
YAY
Would love to see it up top with all the snow, but don't think so now! I consider that one of the toughest hikes now. Would rather do HD again rather than that one. Well, maybe once is enough for HD, but it was a whole lot easier coming down!

The bridge over Yosemite Creek:

I took this one on the bridge:

I took this photo on the way up. If you check the name of the file, I mislabeled it as North Dome, when it was Basket Dome.

February 10, 2010 02:19PM
WOW! Thanks so much - I especially love the one from the bridge. Fabulous pictures! You made my day!
February 10, 2010 03:58PM
y_p_w
I took this photo on the way up. If you check the name of the file, I mislabeled it as North Dome, when it was Basket Dome.

That's definitely North Dome.

February 10, 2010 04:21PM
chick-on
y_p_w

That's definitely North Dome.

OK. So now I'm trying to remember if I incorrectly labeled it as Basket Dome previously. My brain is fried right about now.

Still - if you're going to do this hike, bring plenty of anti-inflammatories. I had naproxen the time I completed it, but apparently some people prefer ibuprofen.

The first time I tried it I was totally unprepared. I had Gore-Tex trail runners and was wearing lots of cotton. I had cotton socks, a cotton shirt, and jeans. I had waterproof-breathable stuff over my clothes, but I was soaked and a bit clammy from the sweat. It was also an unseasonably warm winter day in the low 50s, and it rained.
February 09, 2010 08:36PM
Oh the drama.

I remember looking down from the falls at that trail and thinking how much it reminded me of the sand 'n' sandals movies with the slaves trudging their way up the pyramids. The exposure. The blazing sun. The -- yikes! -- white scarred cliffs of avalanches past (wait! I don't remember THAT from Ben-Hur).
February 10, 2010 08:15AM
Exactly! Great description (sands and sandals movies). I guess I was a lot younger when it seemed so easy a few years ago.
February 10, 2010 06:17PM
Bee
Oh the drama.

I remember looking down from the falls at that trail and thinking how much it reminded me of the sand 'n' sandals movies with the slaves trudging their way up the pyramids. The exposure. The blazing sun. The -- yikes! -- white scarred cliffs of avalanches past (wait! I don't remember THAT from Ben-Hur).

That's O.K. Bee. Ben Hur substituted a chariot race in place of scarred cliffs.
February 10, 2010 08:47PM
tomdisco
Bee
Oh the drama.

That's O.K. Bee. Ben Hur substituted a chariot race in place of scarred cliffs.

(I love that movie -- my mom and I have seen it about 20 times!)
February 15, 2010 05:28PM
Just fur you y_p_w.
Here's what Yosemite Creeky looked like on Saturday. Looky north from da bridge:

February 15, 2010 05:33PM
How was the trail?
February 15, 2010 05:41PM
The trail was virtually free of snow until you hit the "gully" with the loads of switchers.
Just a small traverse of a snow field before then.

Here's the "traverse" (it looks worse than what it is):

Here's the "gully" o switchbacks:

You can get to the top of the falls w/o any special equipment although I'd recommend at least micro spikes.
All depends what time of day you go. We hiked down in snowshoes.

February 17, 2010 03:44PM
I was just up the same trail this past weekend but stopped once I hit snow because I wasn't sure how safe the slushy snow was. It's good to know it can be hiked in those conditions. Too bad I didn't attempt it =(
February 16, 2010 04:45AM
I'm going up for the day today, that looks awesome. Thanks for the pictures.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login