Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Vernel Fall, Merced River, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (98% of Full)

Advanced

Snow boots - want opinions

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Snow boots - want opinions
February 22, 2010 10:23AM
since i recently went snow camping, i realized i needed a better pair of snow boots. anyone have a preference they can suggest? these wouldn't be for long hiking, just short distance walks and camping etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2010 10:24AM by forrestranger.
avatar Re: Snow boots - want opinions
February 22, 2010 01:01PM
For just short walks and hanging around camp boot as shown are fine. The lower the temp rating the better. Be sure to get a size that will not squeeze you feet and that will allow for big thick socks. For boots of this ilk that would be better for walking get a pair that has lacing that is more like a normal boot. Your foot won't float around inside so much.

For example:
http://www.altrec.com/sorel-boots/mens-maverick-snow-boot

Old Dude

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2010 01:06PM by mrcondron.
February 22, 2010 05:19PM
I have something similar to the Sorels for use in winter when out observing with a telescope. I've found that boot temperture ratings have little to do with reality and your experience has more to do with your level of activity. If you move around frequently or are actually walking somewhere, no problem. If you are standing still for several hours your toes are going to feel it. My boots are rated for -40 degrees but still require use of the Grabber chemical toe warmer pads when telescope observing. When I'm on the move or shoveling snow my feet are quite toasty without any warming aids.
February 22, 2010 07:46PM
yeah, i borrowed some cheap snow boots from a friend while on the trip, and found i was perfectly fine until i sat down and did nothing, then all of a sudden i could feel some cold.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login