Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Advanced

Merced River at Pohono Bridge to approach or exceed flood stage

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Merced River at Pohono Bridge to approach or exceed flood stage
June 04, 2010 02:18PM
With the significant amount of snow remaining in the high country and the arrival of hot temperatures, the National Weather Service (NWS) California-Nevada River Forecast Center is predicting the Merced River at Pohono Bridge to approach or exceed flood stage beginning Saturday. The NWS plans to issue a flood watch on Friday morning, followed by a flood warning on Saturday morning. River levels are expected to remain high for 5-8 days. Impacts to visitor facilities are expected to be minimal, however visitors should be extra cautious around creeks, rivers, and slippery rocks and riverbanks. Valley District Ranger Eric Gabriel is the Incident Commander and is coordinating the park's response with an interdisciplinary team and park partners. The NWS produces a daily river forecast, which can be viewed by the public at http://www.cnrfc.noaa.gov/graphicalRVF.php?id=POHC1. Visitors in the Happy Isles area can view real-time weather and river data at the newly reconstructed Happy Isles Gaging Stationg, near the Nature Center.
Re: Merced River at Pohono Bridge to approach or exceed flood stage
June 04, 2010 06:40PM
Any idea if this will affect camping. I am leaving next thursday the 10th for lower pines. Plan staying for the week. Flood levels always worry me that they will close camping spots.
avatar Re: Merced River at Pohono Bridge to approach or exceed flood stage
June 04, 2010 06:48PM
Roadrash
Any idea if this will affect camping. I am leaving next thursday the 10th for lower pines. Plan staying for the week. Flood levels always worry me that they will close camping spots.

Mr. Peabody is furiously working on modifying the WABAC Machine to provide a glimpse of the future:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WABAC_machine
avatar Re: Merced River at Pohono Bridge to approach or exceed flood stage
June 04, 2010 07:32PM
I think all the floodable campsites have been taken offline. Don't worry.

Old Dude
June 05, 2010 08:41AM
I'm going there tomorrow for 5 days, in Lower Pines. Looks like highest levels of river are to be Sun night to Tues morning and then it appears to be forecast to gradually go down from there. NPS a few days ago said most of Lower Pines will be probably be ok, but they are worried about sites 60 to 64. They keep 62 off the system til about the middle of June just for this reason. 63 is an asst. campground host's site. We are leaving our raft at home as rafting will be prohibited with the water this high.
June 05, 2010 08:54AM
Roadrash

What is your site number?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login