Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (83% of Full)

nordvpn

Advanced

Sleeping Bag

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Sleeping Bag
September 13, 2010 09:38PM
Hello All,

I'm camping out in Yosemite at North Pines during the last week of Sept/first week of Oct. Does anyone have any thoughts on the sleeping bag the Field and Stream Field Master 20? Thanks!

- IR
September 13, 2010 10:44PM
Not sure. I saw something in a web search that said that Dick's Sporting Goods had it, but it seems to be discontinued. They do have a Field and Stream Master 40º, which I would think would be similar.

I think it's just a fairly standard (generic frankly) rectangular car camping sleeping bag with a cotton shell (that's really old school), cotton flannel lining, and polyester fiber insulation. The cotton might be a bit uncomfortable if it gets wet. I might be a bit wary about the temperature claims. I've tried two 30ºF rated sleeping bags from different sellers (one a Coleman and the other Target's house brand) and the Target one frankly didn't insulate as well (it was noticeable how much less insulation there was).

You could certainly try it out, but bring along a polyester fleece liner just in case you need extra warmth. Then again there's a chance that you find it's too warm. I sometimes find myself sweating if it's a balmy night or if I'm sleeping late and the temps rise into the mid 60s.

If you really want warm, a couple of standard rectangular sleeping bags can typically be zipped together and shared with a sleeping companion. Shared body heat is almost like lowering the temp rating.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login