Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (85% of Full)

Advanced

Christmas in Yosemite? whats open/closed?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Christmas in Yosemite? whats open/closed?
December 22, 2010 12:52PM
I'm thinking of spending this upcoming Christmas weekend camping in Yosemite valley at Camp 4.

The camping/snow/cold doesn't worry me much.

What worries me is what will be open, or rather what will be CLOSED.

Will the cafeteria at the Lodge be open? What are the options for shopping and food? ( no, I'm NOT going to the Ahwahnee! )

ADVthaAnksNCE
Re: Christmas in Yosemite? whats open/closed?
December 22, 2010 03:30PM
I usually spend Christmas at the Lodge, and will be driving up there tomorrow. I'll let you know if the situation is abnormal. Usually, the Mountain Room is tied up with a special Christmas dinner, but the cafeteria is open as usual. Over at Currie Village, the main cafeteria line may be closed on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, but when they do that they set up a much smaller buffet over by the coffee corner. I don't recall what the reduced hours are over at the main grocery store in Yosemite Village, but you can usually get some food at the little store at the Lodge. Just don't wait until late in the day to look for something.

eek usually knows this sort of thing.
December 22, 2010 09:19PM
Just got back from Yosemite tonight. Camp 4 was closed from what I could see... no one in it and the gates locked. You'll have to go to Upper Pines. The Lodge cafeteria is open, and I think that is the case year round. All stores in the valley were open for food and general shopping, with closing times of 7pm. You can also get pizza in Curry Village if you are so inclined. As wherever said, there will be a small buffet at Curry, can't recall which day the paper said, however.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2010 09:20PM by hotrod4x5.
avatar Re: Christmas in Yosemite? whats open/closed?
December 23, 2010 09:28AM
hotrod4x5
Just got back from Yosemite tonight. Camp 4 was closed from what I could see... no one in it and the gates locked. You'll have to go to Upper Pines. The Lodge cafeteria is open, and I think that is the case year round. All stores in the valley were open for food and general shopping, with closing times of 7pm. You can also get pizza in Curry Village if you are so inclined. As wherever said, there will be a small buffet at Curry, can't recall which day the paper said, however.

Camp 4 is supposed to be open year round. I've been by there in February with heavy snow, and there were definitely a few tents. At this time of year I think it might be self registration, although it might get tricky if the parking lot is gated off.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/camp4.htm

I guess the worst that could happen is that one can't stay there and has to go to Upper Pines.
December 23, 2010 10:44AM
Maybe it was closed due to all the rain, or maybe the gate I looked at wasn't the entrance, could have looked at the wrong one, was just driving by. But I definitely saw no tents in there, just snow and mud.
avatar Re: Christmas in Yosemite? whats open/closed?
December 23, 2010 01:30PM
This time of year there'd be so few tents ( if ANY ) it'd be easy to miss them. I've been there when I appeared to be the only one in the campground.

Getting off work early. Home to pack and take care of a few odds/ends, maybe a quick short nap, and then the drive.

Should be an interesting weekend! smiling smiley

Thanks for the responses
December 23, 2010 04:17PM
The guys at the Lodge front desk called over to the Village Store, who said that they are keeping regular hours this week. I wouldn't count on getting in near closing time, though.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login