Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (59% of Full)

Advanced

Late April 3 Day Backpack?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Late April 3 Day Backpack?
March 16, 2011 12:17PM
Never been to Yosemite and in fact brand new to the West Coast, but I have a few days off end the last week of April before starting a new job early May.

Really want to do a solo 3-day backpacking trip that is fairly moderate/easy - just no clue where to begin. A loop is much preferred. Thinking of about 25 miles give or take ideally with less on the last day. Any suggestions welcome . I know weather/snow can be really problematic then on the trails so that is really what I am trying to avoid since I will be alone, etc. Thanks so much!

ETA - As an alternative I am considering in/near Sequoias/Kings Canyon as well.... so advice in that area welcome too..

Thanks so much! Really appreciate it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2011 12:19PM by sambieni.
Re: Late April 3 Day Backpack?
March 16, 2011 06:25PM
I've answered this on other boards, but you are going to have a hard time hiking 25 miles in the back country below 4500 feet---and that's about where the snow line might be.

In Yosemite the only two hikes are either Hite Cove or Rancheria Falls...the latter depends on when they can fix the bridge over Wapama Falls. There are a few other hikes in the SIerra at these lower elevations, but none of them are more than about 10-12 miles in and out. I can't think of a 25 mile loop that would stay clear of snow. And once you hit snow, you had better be prepared for not only hiking in it, but following the trail when you can't see it. If you've never done this before, you should start with something easier.

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
March 16, 2011 09:26PM
Thanks - yea, snow, solo, etc... not my cup of tea. What are those 10-12 milers you mention in Sequoia?
March 17, 2011 08:37AM
You could take a look at the Ladybug Trail there...it's about 4-5 miles each way,. taking you up the river. And the trail goes farther, if you are interested.

Here's a link to a trip report. Although we haven't hike this one, it's on our list. Maybe someone else here has hiked this in the spring?

http://kaweahcommonwealth.com/ladybug.html

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
avatar Re: Late April 3 Day Backpack?
March 19, 2011 10:11AM
sambieni
Really want to do a solo 3-day backpacking trip that is fairly moderate/easy - just no clue where to begin. A loop is much preferred. Thinking of about 25 miles give or take ideally with less on the last day. Any suggestions welcome . I know weather/snow can be really problematic then on the trails so that is really what I am trying to avoid since I will be alone, etc. Thanks so much!

ETA - As an alternative I am considering in/near Sequoias/Kings Canyon as well.... so advice in that area welcome too..

You might want to consider an out-and-back trip that parallels the Middle Fork of the Kaweah River in the southern part of Sequoia. Go into the park through the Ash Mountain entrance which is a few miles past the town of Three Rivers; there is a visitor center where you can obtain your Wilderness Permit once you enter the park.

You start out at Buckeye Flat (or Hospital Rock if the gate to Buckeye Flat is closed) at an elevation around 3k. If you follow the trail to where there is a footbridge that crosses the river, it should be around 22-24 miles RT with an elevation gain of around 2.5k. (Can't be more specific at this time re. the distance and elevations since I'm away from home and my maps for another week.) There are a couple decent campsites along the trail near creeks that feed into the river. Since you are climbing most of the way on the outbound leg, you will want to camp at one of those the first night, stay just past the footbridge the second night, and return to the trailhead on the third day (almost all downhill once you do a little climb up from the river crossing).
March 21, 2011 06:54PM
The lower elevations of the sierra aren't as fun or scenic. You should head to the coast. I wouldn't recommend doing it alone but the lost coast is about 25 miles and pretty fun. You'd have a few high creek wades at that time of the year. Pt Reyes is pretty sweet also. You could do a nice 20 mile loop there to wildcat beach and coast camp. Big Basin has some pretty nice hiking in the coastal redwoods also.
March 21, 2011 08:03PM
There's also the Ventana Wilderness to consider (on the "new to the west coast" thing...make very sure you know what western poison oak looks like before a lower-elevation trip, either on the coast or in the Sierra foothills!). I've seen Yucca and Redwood growing there within a five minute walk of each other (near Barlow).

Pt. Reyes requires advance reservations which are tough for weekends (3 months in advance), give them a call if you're able to do this mid-week. Lost Coast is...wonderful...check the tide tables before planning your trip. You're looking for periods where +5 or above tides are either rare or occur during times you won't be hiking.

There's also Coe State Park, which in late April should be quite nice.

I don't have any experience with the Sierra south of Mineral King (e.g.: Domeland Wilderness), but in the areas I'm familiar with I'd just expect snow in mid-April on a multi-day trip.
March 21, 2011 08:29PM
ttilley
make very sure you know what western poison oak looks like

http://yosemitephotos.net/main.php/v/trails/colby/sh-dsc_0702.jpg.html
March 21, 2011 08:40PM
ttilley
There's also the Ventana Wilderness to consider (on the "new to the west coast" thing...make very sure you know what western poison oak looks like before a lower-elevation trip, either on the coast or in the Sierra foothills!). I've seen Yucca and Redwood growing there within a five minute walk of each other (near Barlow).

Ventana from trailheads like Bottchers Gap, China Camp, etc. - not from any below Palo Colorado turnoff. The highway has fallen and it probably won't get up for a while... Big Sur and points south are now pretty hard to reach.

I forgot about that suggesting Andrew Molera in another thread.
March 21, 2011 08:58PM
AlmostThere
I forgot about that suggesting Andrew Molera in another thread.
I forgot as well, I heard about it while driving to Tahoe Thursday, then skied so much powder that the CA-1 memories were replaced by other things.

Pics here: http://bigsurkate.wordpress.com/2011/03/19/up-close-and-personal-with-mother-nature/
March 26, 2011 09:52PM
Seems like it will still be cold in April.
March 27, 2011 06:13AM
DanPJ
Seems like it will still be cold in April.

I've had some good trips in April. None of them were all that cold.
March 27, 2011 12:54PM
How often do you frequent Yosemite? When is your favorite time?
March 27, 2011 05:38PM
DanPJ
How often do you frequent Yosemite?

Several times a year.

When is your favorite time?

It's all good.
April 02, 2011 12:32AM
That seems to be the consensus. There is always something to do. I hope one day, I will have enough time to be able to visiting several times a year too. I am mostly limited to the summers now but am interested in exploring during the winter. Just need to make an effort I guess.
April 02, 2011 10:48AM
Daytime is fine, but it is a bit cold for me at night. Make sure you have the right temperature sleeping gear.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login