Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (84% of Full)

Advanced

Big snow melt this year? Oh. Yeah.

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Big snow melt this year? Oh. Yeah.
April 18, 2011 09:44AM
Spent the weekend at the family Ranch in the foothills of the Sierra, north of Merced and west of Yosemite. I may have mentioned here elsewhere that the Merced River runs right through it for several miles, and that my BIL, together CalTrans and other state agencies, restored the entirety of it in that area back to it's original state, recreating ancient flood paths/plains, restoring the river bed/banks, you-name-it. It took years.

I was astounded to see how wide it was this weekend, where we had the annual family bbq.

This shot shows it more than 1/2 mile wide, where normally, even in spring conditions, it's anywhere from 30m-40m wide. No kidding. There's so much water that the river has actually changed its course in the middle of the flood plain, and won't be in the same place after the melt that it was in beforehand. I didn't have a wide enough lens, from up on a hill, no less, to get the whole thing in frame. Where it for years ran was off to the right, with the far bank in this shot having been its north bank. Now, if you look in the center of the shot, you can see where it's changed course and is making a 'S' turn, like on a racetrack, between some trees.

From this one, where it's a lot deeper, the usual size of the river is from the far bank to the white area that is now a sandbar, just below it. That used to be the south bank, where people could approach it by foot, wade, skip rocks, swim, whatever.

avatar Re: Big snow melt this year? Oh. Yeah.
April 18, 2011 10:26AM
Kewl.

If possible... go back the second week of June and take the same picture.
I'd really like to see that. That's when runoff is typically the highest...
although that will probably be even later this year... into July perhaps.

However much may be contingent upon Lake McClure. Got any pix of that?
I've never even seen that "Lake". They may be dumping more than what
is getting input now due to the coming melt...

Thx

Chick-on is looking at you!
Re: Big snow melt this year? Oh. Yeah.
April 18, 2011 10:39AM
Actually, I will be there in June, and will snap some shots before going up to Tuolumne or parts elsewhere. If it gets any more water, and it may, it will be an interesting test of the engineering methods used in the restoration.

I don't have any of McClure, because I never really go that way, and I find it (and Don Pedro) usually to be bracingly ugly. I may drive by this year just to see, though. Good suggestion.
avatar Re: Big snow melt this year? Oh. Yeah.
April 24, 2011 09:19PM
Came out 140 so I zigged by Lake McClure and Lake McSwain.
Lake McClure ... ugh.... it's got a LOT of area to be filled with water.
Lake McSwain... is gorgeous.

McClure:

McSwain:

I'd like to see McClure completely full... maybe I'll head thataway when I see Don Pedro to the brim.
Not too excited about the 7 dolla entry fee though... luckily this time the guy at the entry booth gave
me a 30 minute pass so I got off free.

Chick-on is looking at you!
April 18, 2011 01:24PM
I really can't wait this year. Based on your descriptions, the water might last much longer this year. Can't wait to go!
April 24, 2011 04:50PM
Indeed, this is going to be a great year for watersports.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login