Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (80% of Full)

Advanced

Yosemite Valley trip

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Yosemite Valley trip
April 28, 2011 01:49PM
My wife and I just got back from a four day trip to the Valley. Great weather the last couple days.

Did the hike (walk) to Mirror Lake and continued on for about a 1/2 mile past Snow Creek. Saw what looked like a bobcat (cat-like body, upright ears, short tail and big feet). It watched us for a while and then meandered on its way.

On another day I hiked the Upper Yosemite Falls trail. It was a clear sunny day so the view from Columbia Rock was spectacular. Continued to the Oh My Gosh viewpoint and then went about another 1/2 mile. At that point the trail had a few icy patches and occasional show covering the trail, so I called it a day and headed back down.

My wife went up the Mist Trail (jumped the gate) and took some great pictures.

Both Yosemite Falls and Vernal Falls were full of water, but not as crazy as last year. For example you don't get wet at the end of the Lower Falls trail or the Mist trail like last year. Last year we went in May, so maybe that is the difference.

Tom
April 28, 2011 04:48PM
Tom F.

Both Yosemite Falls and Vernal Falls were full of water, but not as crazy as last year. For example you don't get wet at the end of the Lower Falls trail or the Mist trail like last year. Last year we went in May, so maybe that is the difference.

Tom

When the weather warms up a bit the creeks will be roaring torrents and the falls will be spectacular.

Snow is predicted for tonight in the Sierra.

Old Dude

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2011 04:48PM by mrcondron.
Re: Yosemite Valley trip
April 28, 2011 08:10PM
Mike- Yes, that is what we experienced last year in the first week of May. We may have jumped the gun this year going in the last part of April. Every year is a little different.

Tom
April 30, 2011 12:34PM
Mid May to Mid June usually has the most snowmelt and largest waterfalls. Maybe that is why you saw a difference.
April 30, 2011 05:20PM
Most definitely. It gets warmer later in May and the snow starts melting.
April 30, 2011 09:17AM
Do you have any pictures to share Tom?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login